Author Topic: Can this be done? SFGx add on module?  (Read 240 times)

wilykat

Can this be done? SFGx add on module?
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »
PCE and TG-16 has plenty of pins in the rear port, would it be possible to make a module that contained the extra chips used by Super Grafx that plugged into the back? akin to what 32x did for Genesis? Maybe with pass through connector to dock with a CD system?

Is there a detailed schematic of Super Grafx?  There's a user made schematic of PCE that could used as reference, TG-16 is nearly the same except for that 8 flipped data lines on cart port.

esteban

Re: Can this be done? SFGx add on module?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:08:43 AM »
If alchemy is involved, then the answer is "Yes."
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:24:26 AM »
%100 no.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
I don't think all the necessary pins are there (or even most of 'em), but even if they were, wouldn't you have to destroy a SGX to get the custom parts?  I suppose you could emulate 'em on a FPGA thingy, but at that point you might as well go whole hog and emulate the entire system.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wilykat

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:23:50 AM »
Bah so it won't be easy at all.  I thought SGFx had extra graphic chip and extra RAM, that you could get out of a spare PCE or something?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:23:59 AM »
It has a second HuC6270 video chip that you could get from a PCE (which is still a waste) but it also has a HuC6202 chip (found only in the SGX) that coordinates the two video chips.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Vecanti

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
What would be the goal? One machine to play all PCE/SGX/CD/SCD/ACD? Good news! You can do this now. It's called a SuperGrafx!

wilykat

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »
Super Grafx doesn't have built in CD system. NEC and TTI never released Super Duo console :/

Trying to hack a regular console to become Super Grafx is probably not worth the effort. If I need to wire in a couple chips just to get SFGX graphic capabilities that's like a few hundred wires. No official schematic has been released so no one has 100% accurate detail on SGFX console.