Author Topic: CD ROM 2 'Run' Button Doesn't Do Anything  (Read 235 times)

Slypty

CD ROM 2 'Run' Button Doesn't Do Anything
« on: April 15, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »
 Finally got my PC Engine CD Rom 2 running after some tinkering.  It worked for a good half an hour, I decided to switch Outlets because one was closer for easier controller reach.

For some reason, after changing outlets (I'm using the OEM adapter) pressing the RUN button to start a game isn't registering anything with the CD player.  The CD Player will play a disc if I manually press play, but it won't start a game.. very confused with it.

Keith Courage

Re: CD ROM 2 'Run' Button Doesn't Do Anything
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Try backing the CD drive out from the docking station slightly. Could be a dirty contact on the back. Also, double check that none of the pins in the rear of your pc engine are not bent.

Slypty

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 04:14:05 AM »
Figured out that it was the controller. 

Basically if I plug in a different controller, immediately the CD Player recognizes to start playing.. the faulty controller wasn't doing this before.  Maybe a bad connection, but pretty strange to just stop working immediately.  Maybe the Start button connection become dislodged in the DIN or on the PCB.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:48:09 PM by Slypty »

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
The way the controller muxing works, if RUN wasn't working, UP wouldn't work if there was a loose or bad wire.  If UP worked fine on non CD games, then either the RUN button has bad contact or the trace on PCB went bad, bad solder joint on the mux chip, or the mux chip has a bad input pin.

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:13:25 PM »
looks like I have now come across a CD drive that actually has this problem and is not controlling related.

basically if you hit play on the top of the c_d player it will play audio cds perfectly fine. If you hit run on the controller absolutely nothing happens. The c_d drive does not display pc like it should nor does it engage the lens assembly.  the screen does display just a moment. It is definitely the drive and not the docking station or System card.

all the pins for the rear port check out perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:41:55 PM by Keith Courage »