Author Topic: Radial vs SMD capacitors on Turbo Express  (Read 682 times)

leonk

Re: Radial vs SMD capacitors on Turbo Express
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 01:33:56 PM »
having done several TE with SMD ceramic and tantalum caps i assure you they dont add hum, they actually reduce it

i liken can replacement with SMD replacement to all the different "hacks" people were attempting to reduce Jailbars with NEC consoles. It wasn't until Tim Worthington, in my opinion a brilliant electronics engineer, approached the problem from a fundamental electronics point of view that we now have (what I believe to be) a universal solution (with explaination) to that problem.

When another brilliant engineer (Dave Jones) puts out a video explaining why replacing cans with SMD sometimes is a bad idea, and proves it with measurements on oscilloscopes and calculating on the white board using proven electronics equations; I listen.

I just wanted to bring this up because there are some really good modders out there, but it doesn't mean they're good electronics engineers that can design circuit boards from scratch. I for one know I couldn't.

choijimmy

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 05:21:27 AM »
having done several TE with SMD ceramic and tantalum caps i assure you they dont add hum, they actually reduce it

i liken can replacement with SMD replacement to all the different "hacks" people were attempting to reduce Jailbars with NEC consoles. It wasn't until Tim Worthington, in my opinion a brilliant electronics engineer, approached the problem from a fundamental electronics point of view that we now have (what I believe to be) a universal solution (with explaination) to that problem.

When another brilliant engineer (Dave Jones) puts out a video explaining why replacing cans with SMD sometimes is a bad idea, and proves it with measurements on oscilloscopes and calculating on the white board using proven electronics equations; I listen.

I just wanted to bring this up because there are some really good modders out there, but it doesn't mean they're good electronics engineers that can design circuit boards from scratch. I for one know I c

I just wanted to bring this up because there are some really good modders out there, but it doesn't mean they're good electronics engineers that can design circuit boards from scratch. I for one know I couldn't.

Unfortunately,  we need a good modder in this forum because you/we are in "TG/PCE Repair/Mod Discussion" forum. I do understand most of us are not good engineer but our goal is simple  ---> repair and mod pc engine / tg

People(or modders in your term) in here indeed help tons of people to repair their consoles, from bring them back to alive , reduce the hum, etc... We all know they are not rocket science or not backup by tons of engineers who got PhD.  However, the bottom line, it works. Sorry that this forum is people want to share their repair/mod experience and help each other which  you may  feel this is not academic enough.

Just share what I feel and to be fair
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:28:10 AM by choijimmy »

leonk

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 05:21:03 PM »
I totally understand.  That is what I'm trying to do here - have an open minded technical discussion.

Just because something "works" doesn't mean it proper, or safe.  I can stick a quarter into my fuse panel and the electricity will flow .. it doesn't mean that it's a proper, safe solution that everyone should now do if they blow a fuse!

blueraven

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »
Donnie, You're out of your element.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

BlueBMW

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:02 PM »
I don't know if thesteve has an EE degree or not, but he's probably the most knowledgeable electronics person I know.  I usually trust what he says.

I havent had one defect or problem with a system I've used ceramic caps on yet.  No complaints of noise or anything like that and its been a few years since I started using them.  I guess time will tell.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc