Author Topic: Is my new PC Engine Duo-r's CD drive faulty?  (Read 271 times)

Egiru

Is my new PC Engine Duo-r's CD drive faulty?
« on: June 02, 2016, 03:13:26 AM »
Yeah so i just just a duo-r in an condition but is seems the CD drive might be a bit worn out. It does rarely read the CD-r discs i make and if it does than they are extremely slow. The sound in my legit Ys copy seems to skip a lot, and when i met the girl in the first temple the sound skipped so much that i had no idea what she was saying.

Im burning those CD-rs on my laptop (.cue +.iso files)and i have tried multiple discs but none work properly (some better than others though). Ive tried Nero and imgburn but my laptop can only burn on 8x speed and higher. I have not noticed faults while running my legit Lords of Thunder copy or in any other Super CD.

any thoughts???

Thanks in advance :D

edit: All the discs work very well in magic engine
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:12:37 AM by Egiru »

SignOfZeta

Re: Is my new PC Engine Duo-r's CD drive faulty?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:58 AM »
I don't have the energy...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:52:40 AM »
It could be many things: bad rips, low quality discs (or you've just not found the type your Duo likes), your laser pots need adjusting, or the laser could be on its last leg.  The only way to know which problem(s) you're having is to try something else, like ripping your own legitimate games using Turbo Rip (so you know they're 100% good rips), burning other brands of discs (650mb Taiyo Yudens maybe), attempt a pot adjustment, etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »
Get a regular music CD and play it.  If it skips a lot, try adjusting the pots  If it doesn't skip, your legit Ys may be bad.
CD-R is hit or miss

mj9123456

Egiru

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
Thanks for the help!

It turned out tobe a combonation of 2 things. i cleaned the CD lens with ethanol and got Taiyou Yuden 650mb discs so everything runs smoothly now :D

I'll be playing Sapphirenow then:)