Author Topic: Turbo CD clip Fail.  (Read 290 times)

Desh

Turbo CD clip Fail.
« on: May 15, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
Well, I acquired another broken TGCD drive with dock from a friend.  The middle gear was questionable but worked.  I recapped the drive and ended up having a bad laser as well.  I installed a new laser I had received from Keith Courage awhile back.  I dialed in the pots and played the crap out of it.  After sitting for about a week I went to test it again and found the drive wouldn't work.  Took it apart and found the middle gear was the culprit but it would work again if I bumped it free.  I decided to replace the gear being very careful not to lose the holding clip.  While re-installing the clip with the new gear in place I dropped it into the assembly somewhere.  The bitch is I've torn the thing completely apart and cannot find the clip anywhere and I've spent the last 2 hours or so trying to find it. 

I am mucho pissed at myself right now.  So, how screwed am I?  Am I going to be forced to start buying up cheap CD mechanisms to find a suitable replacement or does somebody know of a source for one?

Keith Courage

Re: Turbo CD clip Fail.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »

Desh

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:19:31 AM »

pas7680

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 05:47:33 AM »
replacements are impossible to find as no one else seems to have ever used such a small retaining clip, however what i use is a c-ring - i think that's what they're called and they can be found in sizes below 2mm id. They're still a little big but careful squeezing with pliers you can close the gap down to around the 1.5mm required. 

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 06:44:01 AM »
I make a clip from a cap lead

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk