Author Topic: Turbografx 16 Controller  (Read 270 times)

Asuazo25

Turbografx 16 Controller
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
I have a turbo pad that i left on one of the console i have, all of sudden the pin broke off the controller & i had to pull off the pins out of the unit, is there a way to fix or replace the cable from the controller?

rxmage

Re: Turbografx 16 Controller
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
Common problem.  Unfortunately, I don't think there are entire cord replacements available.   If you know how to solder, you can purchase a replacement 8 pin din connector and put a new one on.  Worst case scenario, it is time to spend $25 to $30 for  a new one on ebay.

Asuazo25

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »
didn't even think about that, thanks gonna give that a try 

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
are all of the pins still intact on the part that got pulled out? If all the pins are still there then you can just put some super glue around the outside of the connector and push it back into the cable again. If one of the pins is missing then unfortunately you're going to have to get another cable and solder it in.

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
I have some spare 8-pin DIN connectors I never used. I could send you a couple if you need them but you can get a six pack of them shipped from china for $4. It would cost me as much to bubble mail them across the states...

The DIN connectors are solder lug type. You will need a multimeter or continuity tester to check which pins correspond to what colors. DO NOT TRUST color charts even for first party controllers due to variances in manufacture. After you've identified which pin goes to what color, you can cut the old plug off and solder in the leads to the new plug. Or alternately, you can buy a nice 8-foot DIN8 cable on eBay and cut off one of the plugs, then wire it into your control pad for a nice long cable that doesn't need extensions to play comfortably. Be aware that the Turbografx ports are all upside down on the console so any third party DIN8 cables will have the arrow key on the bottom instead of the top. Just make a mental note of that and you'll be fine.

hoobs88

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:18:42 AM »
I bought a bunch of replacement cables from Turbo Zone direct before they went out of business. I believe they are all for the duo pads/pc engine controllers so the plugs won't fit in a TG-16 system but they are easy to swap out and don't require soldering. I can double check later to see if any of them have TG-16 plugs.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

chop5

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
the pins from the controllers coming off is common. mines do that. just put them back in. unless something else happened. have a pic?
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie