Author Topic: Will any of these lcd's work as a Turbo Express replacement?  (Read 180 times)

vetteguy112233

Will any of these lcd's work as a Turbo Express replacement?
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
I've been collecting and repairing retro stuff for a while now and while I can replace parts easily enough, understanding why some things work the way they do is a bit of a mystery.

I have lots of broken handheld systems with perfectly good screens. SP's, DS, DS lite, psp (too big, I know), game gear.....and would like to possibly use one of these screens until I can find the right 3.5" LCD for my turbo express. As I said, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this type of thing, so that's why I'm asking. I'd love to learn more about this subject, reusing or repurposing lcd's. Any help is much appreciated.

Vimtoman

Re: Will any of these lcd's work as a Turbo Express replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
Nope. All the handhelds you listed are units with built in LCD that would require drivers of some sorts.
That would be toooo much work.

You need a composite or RGBS lcd for the PC Engine Turbo machines.

I had asked one company how much it would cost to have a RGBS screens made for the GT but the cost of dev was $700 so unless the forum could generate that amount to get a proper LCD made your stuck with a Compoisite type.

I have a thread  for a composite version using a pcb that connects to the lcd connector and Thesteve has a thread for a composite version connecting direct to the Grafix chip.