Author Topic: Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread  (Read 917 times)

DQ187

Re: Bonk 3 Comfy Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 03:00:44 AM »
Bonk 3 is too expensive. Fortunately there are repros available.

(Just for you, Luke)

There are repros available? We should discuss this as i to am one who thinks this game is too expensive! 8-[ 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 04:32:52 AM »
I like that Bonk 3 has more variety in enemies and scenery, larger levels, enemy juggling missing from Revenge, a two-player mode, and its tunes are all original (Revenge recycled a lot from Adventure).  I don't like that it's too easy (especially the pushover bosses), the candy is mostly a gimmick, the loud and shitty 'atmosphere' noises in some of the cd version's tunes, or how tedious it gets playing two player with an unskilled player.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 04:34:47 AM »
Bonk 3 is too expensive. Fortunately there are repros available.

(Just for you, Luke)

There are repros available? We should discuss this as i to am one who thinks this game is too expensive! 8-[ 

The Turbo Everdrive is only $70.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

gatsu25

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 01:18:38 AM »
I played through the Super CD version quite a few years ago.  I liked it, but it definitely wasn't as enjoyable as Revenge for me.  Perhaps maybe if they had continued the series like they did with Adventure Island, it could have become something more interesting.

That being said, it's still a great game.

dallaspattern

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
Bonk 3 is a goddamned disaster. Awful. Just awful. My dislike for the game has actually continued to occupy a small part of my brain ever since I first laid eyes on the lazy animation and uninspired levels. For some ungodly reason. Burn it to the ground.

Bonknuts

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »
Interesting fact (which Black Tiger brought up a few years back IIRC), is that the CD one has less animation frames for the super sized bonk. Guess they couldn't fit it all into CD memory.

Keith Courage

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »

I thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature.

I thought this was really annoying as well. especially when turning into large bonk since I always feel like I can't see what I'm doing because of the sheer size. Otherwise a great game.

turning into the crab is still fun for some reason.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 09:44:29 PM by Keith Courage »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 02:41:24 AM »
Bonk 3 is a goddamned disaster. Awful. Just awful. My dislike for the game has actually continued to occupy a small part of my brain ever since I first laid eyes on the lazy animation and uninspired levels. For some ungodly reason. Burn it to the ground.

You go to hell!  :P

Interesting fact (which Black Tiger brought up a few years back IIRC), is that the CD one has less animation frames for the super sized bonk. Guess they couldn't fit it all into CD memory.

But it makes up for it (slightly) by using Godzilla roars in the final battle.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:17 PM »

Hell yes. :)
  |    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
It's not a bad game by any means. Just not worth the price it commands these days. If I'm gong to spend $100+ on something, it better be damn good as in Dracula X good. Enough said.

Yeah pretty much. I was grabbing some Saturn imports last night and I was considering titles like Batsugun, but in the end I went for 5 titles for a bit less than what Batsugun usually runs. Even if one is a bit rough around the edges (DonPachi) I feel like I'll get a lot more play time out of these 5 than I would Batsugun.

Going back to the topic of Bonk 3 I think it's totally fine. Haters gonna hate, but it's worth playing to completion. I would say definitely not for the US price but stalking for a nicely priced Japanese copy, sure. Or just everdrive it, whatever floats your boat.

Lost Monkey

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »

I thought it was cool turning big and small the first couple of times I did it but after that It was an annoying feature.

I thought this was really annoying as well. especially when turning into large bonk since I always feel like I can't see what I'm doing because of the sheer size. Otherwise a great game.

I found the crab parts the most frustrating of all.  Trying to make those jumps up and to the right or left...

dallaspattern

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 05:48:28 PM »

That is interesting!

(and the hatred grows..)