Author Topic: Super System Card 3.0 : US vs JP?  (Read 507 times)

tjsnh

Super System Card 3.0 : US vs JP?
« on: October 27, 2016, 01:18:07 AM »
Hi Gang,

Noob question - trying to get educated before I throw down some cash.
The super system card 3.0 for the TG-16+CD ; is this region specific?

Based on pictures I've found online, it looks like either there is only one card or the US and JP cards are visually identical.

Any guidance on the topic?

Desh

Re: Super System Card 3.0 : US vs JP?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:31:09 AM »
Hi Gang,

Noob question - trying to get educated before I throw down some cash.
The super system card 3.0 for the TG-16+CD ; is this region specific?

Based on pictures I've found online, it looks like either there is only one card or the US and JP cards are visually identical.

Any guidance on the topic?

They are region specific.  Just like any other PC Engine HuCard.  However, you can use the Japanese card if you region mod your system or use a converter.  Another cheap alternative is just to buy a TurboEverdrive 2.4 and get the updated CD card bios for it.  Do NOT spend the $200 or whatever the U.S. 3.0 card goes for these days... there are much cheaper alternatives.

tjsnh

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:48 AM »
VERY useful clarifications - thank you!

In referencing the TED 2.4 , I presume you mean this ? https://krikzz.com/store/home/35-turbo-everdrive-v24.html
My understanding was that those would not function as a CD system card (v2 or v3) and were only useful for game roms. Am I mistaken?

From the sounds of it, one of these "obey" region mod chips might be my best bet , http://www.tg16pcemods.com/tg-16pce-obey-chip-v3.html and then just use a JP super system 3 card (they look cheap on ebay, $20 range). Any known disadvantages to going that route, beyond potentially breaking compatibility with everdrive type devices?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 02:11:16 AM »
You are mistaken; the early versions of the everdrive didn't have the ram necessary for emulating a system card, but the newest ones do.  They don't have enough (or the right kind?) to emulate an Arcade Card, though, so you'd need a region mod if you ever wanted to go that route.

And those obey chips are the best way to go about a region mod.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

tbone3969

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:46:21 AM »
Save yourself the trouble and some money by getting a region modded DUO from a respected member here on this site.  Easiest and cheapest way to go.  Period.  Remember DUOs have the 3.0 card built in.  They also have better CD drives than the original TurboGrafx CD.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

csgx1

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:10:39 AM »

The JP 3.0 card has the HE logo while the US card does not, so they're not exactly identical in appearance.

tjsnh

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:56:10 AM »

The JP 3.0 card has the HE logo while the US card does not, so they're not exactly identical in appearance.

GREAT tip, thank you!!!

mickcris

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
if you are region modding a standard tg16, this is probably an easier region mod to install as you dont have to cut the cart slot
https://www.game-tech.us/product/tg-16-region-mod/

tjsnh

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
Interesting unit mickcris, I'll have to take a closer look at the PCB designs to see if I can figure out exactly how/where that attaches. Looks simpler than the other options at a quick glance.

(I'll be going with a "plain" US/NTSC TG-16)

mickcris

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
Interesting unit mickcris, I'll have to take a closer look at the PCB designs to see if I can figure out exactly how/where that attaches. Looks simpler than the other options at a quick glance.

(I'll be going with a "plain" US/NTSC TG-16)

you will have to watch the video to see where to install it.  i dont see where he has a picture or anything else.  he probably should link this on the sale page.