Author Topic: PC Engine Duo Japanese (Audio Caps)  (Read 253 times)

zxzzxzzxz

PC Engine Duo Japanese (Audio Caps)
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »
Hi everyone , thank you all for this great site .
iam planing to buy a PC engine Duo (not the R/RX) , i know that it has caps problems , and that all the caps built in are low Quality , but i cant buy an R/RX its too expensive for me for now .
i have pretty good soldering skills and i want to repair the one i buy my self , i need to buy the capacitors , the list is online but i want to know which ones are the Audio caps so i buy audio caps to replace them ( special caps made for audio "like the GameGear audio repair, i could really hear the diffrence in Audio Quality , i tried normal caps and audio caps(Nichicon-japan) , audio caps produced much more crispier sound than normal caps ( panasonic FC / FR )"  ) .
for the rest i would use long life panasonic caps 5000hr - 10 000hr caps .
i want to get the best out of the pc Engine Duo .
if anyone can help me please with this? my Questions are :
1- does the Duo have any other problems than the caps ?for examples chips overheating or sound noise from other reasons than caps beeing bad? if so ? i would wait more and safe more money to get the Duo R.
2- i need please the caps numbers which are for Audio , on the pc engine Duo mainboard (japanese)

thanks allot to all :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:24:30 AM by zxzzxzzxz »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PC Engine Duo Japanese (Audio Caps)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:35:56 AM »
Welcome aboard!  I didn't even know there was such a thing as an audio cap (I am le dumb), but I'm sure one of the tech minded peeps will pop in soon enough.  As for other components commonly needing repair, I don't think there are any other than those that've been damaged by leaking caps and corrosion.

P.S. - Thread moved to repair section.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
Basically 75% of the caps that are above the two heatsinks for the 7805 regulators are for audio. Almost all the caps just below the CD drive area are for the CD drive function. So if you are planning on doing these two areas then you might as well just do the whole board to avoid missing any others caps that could be causing problems as well.

zxzzxzzxz

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
thank you very much for the help :)