Author Topic: Duo CD Won't Spin  (Read 442 times)

that1crzywhtguy

Duo CD Won't Spin
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
Hello all! I'm back again begging for assistance!  :lol:

Picked up a duo in need of repair from japan. Tested it out once received, and discovered hucard, sound, and composite out seemed to work mostly fine. However, the cd would not spin. I was getting no movement of the motor, and not seeing a single blink or budge from the laser. When I press run, it just gets stuck on please wait.

First thing I did was test the tray open switch, works fine. So, I set to work changing caps. I started off with just the ones near the laser, just to see if it made a difference. When it didn't, I did another few things to test the unit. First I grabbed another cd assembly I have from another duo that I know to be functioning. This gave me the same exact results as the one originally in this unit. Since I know this cd drive works, I figured I'd leave it in it for now as I continued diagnosing. I tested the motor, and it checked out. While I was at it I greased it up with white lithium. I then continued to swap capacitors as I pondered what to do next and did some searching on here and other places.

Well, I came up with nothing else to try. It seems so odd to me that both drives did nothing while hooked up to this duo, considering the other functions seem to be okay.

I haven't completed the full recap yet, but will continue this weekend. Are those caps super far away really likely to prevent the drive from even spinning or the laser from even blinking?

As always, thanks in advance my friends.

Keith Courage

Re: Duo CD Won't Spin
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »
If the screen sits on saying (Just a moment) but won't show the please close lid message if you open it then this is what you should look at. Check the two 47UF caps near the Red CD loading light. There should be a Large via hole just to the right of them that should read 5V. This area can sometimes get damaged from old cap goop. If 5v is not present then bridge a capacitor lead through the hole. If 5V is there then your problem could be a bad chip on the board. Best to then send it off to (the steve) for repair.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:13:16 AM by Keith Courage »

that1crzywhtguy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:02 AM »
If the screen sits on saying (Just a moment) but won't show the please close lid message if you open it then this is what you should look at.

Exactly what this duo is doing.

Check the two 47UF caps near the Red CD loading light.

I actually already changed all three of the caps near there and cleaned the board up near by.

There should be a Large via hole just to the right of them that should read 5V.

Yep, I get 5v from those vias and off the positive cap legs.

If 5V is there then your problem could be a bad chip on the board.

Dangit.... What is a "bad chip on the board?" Are we talking the BA6209A I've heard some mention?

Best to then send it off to (the steve) for repair.

I bought this console to recap, region mod, and eventually sell. Not sure I wanna sink a bunch of money into it... But I'll shoot Steve a PM and inquire about cost...

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
if a chip is bad it is most likely the D91317GD but it could also be a bad Trace somewhere.

may I ask where you bought the duo from? There are a couple sellers on eBay I can think of that when they realize the system cannot be repaired with new capacitors that they simply just sell it for repair or parts. 90% of the time this turns out to be a bad chip on the motherboard. I have learned over time which sellers to typically stay away from when buying a system to repair.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:50:22 AM by Keith Courage »

that1crzywhtguy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »
if a chip is bad it is most likely the D91317GD but it could also be a bad Trace somewhere.

may I ask where you bought the duo from? There are a couple sellers on eBay I can think of that when they realize the system cannot be repaired with new capacitors that they simply just sell it for repair or parts. 90% of the time this turns out to be a bad chip on the motherboard. I have learned over time which sellers to stay away from.

Uh oh... It came from yamatoku-classic. Did I get suckered?

-_-

mickcris

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »
Have you tried to adjust the pots yet?  Could be as simple as that. 

It's the hk game dr, that you have to watch out for selling systems that he could not get working

that1crzywhtguy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »
Have you tried to adjust the pots yet?  Could be as simple as that. 
I did unfortunately, but to no avail. Considering that the busy light doesn't even come on, and that the system seems to always think it's closed, I'm thinking it might be a more serious issue.

It's the hk game dr, that you have to watch out for selling systems that he could not get working

Okay great tip, thanks. I'll be sure to avoid repair systems from that seller. :)

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »
sounds like you were just unlucky then. I've gotten some Duos from yamatoku-classic and the majority of them are repairable without any major issues.

potentiometers won't do anything if the system doesn't even detect whether the CD lid is opened or closed.

that1crzywhtguy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
Well, even though I'm in the same spot with a console I don't likely know how to repair, still feels nice to know I wasn't deliberately screwed. :)

Gonna take a really close look later to hunt for a faulty trace, but I suspect I won't be able to repair this issue on my own. I read up on that chip you pointed me toward, and unfortunately that's over my head. Unless there is something  I can physically see, or something I can be pointed to check with a multimeter—is there?—, then I'll never crack this nut I'm afraid. I did take away an extra hunk of respect for thw folks on this forum though, so cool how theSteve figured out all the functions of that chip. Maybe he'll chime in with a thing or two I can check. Also pmed him about potential repair cost.

Either way, I'll finish up the full recap and region mod really soon. Once I hear back from theSteve, I'll just have to weigh sending it to him for repair first against just selling it as a fully-recapped and region-modded duo with need of cd repair...

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
the place to start is the data bus (system side) on the D91317GD
you will need a scope or logic probe to check it, as your looking for missing or stuck signals

that1crzywhtguy

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »

the place to start is the data bus (system side) on the D91317GD
you will need a scope or logic probe to check it, as your looking for missing or stuck signals

Ah... Yeah, I don't own a probe or know anything about using one... So probably beyond my current capabilities... Thanks for weighing in. I sent ya a pm too my friend. :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:54:43 PM by that1crzywhtguy »