Author Topic: SuperGrafx jailbar fix  (Read 457 times)

gtsamour

SuperGrafx jailbar fix
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »
So the jailbar fix using two ceramic caps of 4,7uf by tim works wonders... tried it myself on more than one cases.

I need to perform it on my SuperGrafx as well but can't find a picture or info on which caps I should replace (on the analog and digital 5V cirquit).

I have an idea but I'm not sure I am correct and I don't want to go ahead replacing caps if I'm not 100% sure its the right ones.

Can someone that has that info cares to share please? A picture with two red squares on the digital and analog caps would be peachy :D

Ergot_Cholera

Re: SuperGrafx jailbar fix
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Sorry to be of no help, but I too would like confirmation of the locations.
TWO PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!  :pray:

gtsamour

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 04:55:52 AM »
Its really weird because I could find the info for all the other PCEngines (White/Core/CoreII, Duo, Duo-R, Duo RX, TG16 etc) but there is nothing on the Supergrafx.
Something tells me that thesteve might be our only hope... pleaaaaseeeeee  :pray: :pray:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:58:00 AM by gtsamour »

FABombjoy

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »
On the bottom, C168 and C169

gtsamour

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:33:32 PM »
Thankx FABombjoy :)
Have you performed this cap replacement on your SuperGrafx?

How are the results?

I have done the jailbar fix on my DUO and DUO-R and the results were AMAZING, absolutely no trace of any kind of jailbar.

On the other hand when I did the same on the Core II the results were far from perfect (C131, C132). Yes I could see a difference but it was more like the jailbars bacame much thiner and less noticable instead of absolutely going away. You can still easily spot them though.

Anyone else have jailbar fix experience on the Core II?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:46:17 PM by gtsamour »

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:46:24 AM »
On the bottom, C168 and C169
Is this a truth? Can it be confirmed?

gtsamour

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:16:30 AM »
I did it on mine and the jailbars disappeared.
It is also mentioned here https://console5.com/wiki/Hu6260#Jailbar_.2F_Vertical_Bar_Fix

FABombjoy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
Thankx FABombjoy :)
Have you performed this cap replacement on your SuperGrafx?

How are the results?

I have done the jailbar fix on my DUO and DUO-R and the results were AMAZING, absolutely no trace of any kind of jailbar.

On the other hand when I did the same on the Core II the results were far from perfect (C131, C132). Yes I could see a difference but it was more like the jailbars bacame much thiner and less noticable instead of absolutely going away. You can still easily spot them though.

Anyone else have jailbar fix experience on the Core II?
No, sadly I've been lazy about my own consoles. Something about the mechanics car always being broken 😃

I took the photo in the above wiki link from a spare SGX sitting here.  I'll add a PAC N1/10 pic soon, too.

gtsamour

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
Thank you for giving out the info FABombjoy so that everyone can benefit from it.

So, do you have any comments on the Core/Core II jailbar fix that doensn't seem to work so well as on the other PCEngines?
Do you have any experience with the cores?

The info for the Core/Core II jailbar fix is also missing but I read somewhere that its the same cap numbering as the White PCE. Is that true?

FABombjoy

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
I haven't had a CG or CG2 since before the jb fix was published, and none of the reference photos that I have show enough detail to trace them out visually.  The PCB layouts are very very similar and I wouldn't be surprised if the applicable caps are in the same location physically.  Without a clear photo I can't publish any for sure values.  NEC did seem to retain their designators across similar layouts so I would not be surprised if they were the same numbers!

gtsamour

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 12:35:40 AM »
Here's some eye candy of the jailbar fix on my SuperGrafx. It works a charm... C168 and C169 replaced with 4,7uf ceramic caps.

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 03:30:16 AM »
I have replaced the caps on my Supergrafx now and the image is perfect, although the bars weren't as noticable to begin with as they are on other PCE consoles.
The caps to be replaced on the original and Core Grafx are numbered the same. I have tried it before on several Core Grafx consoles, on some it worked perfectly but on others it didn't appear to make any difference. :-k

gtsamour

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 06:26:34 AM »
I did the fix on all my NEC consoles... On the DUO, DUO-R, SuperGrafx the results were perfect, absolutely no sign of jailbars.

On the white PCEngine and the TG-16 the results were very good... almost but not completely perfect.

On my Core II there was a difference but far from perfect, the jailbars became thinner but still easily noticable.

Here's a picture of the caps I replaced (C131, C132)

Have I done something wrong?

PS all the electrolytic caps have been replaced with genuine Panasonic ones (on all my NEC consoles).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:29:20 AM by gtsamour »