Author Topic: Turbo Stick PCB repair  (Read 319 times)

yxlplig

Turbo Stick PCB repair
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
So I was having issues with this Turbo Stick. I already fixed it, but I was hoping someone more educated could explain how I fixed it. The problem with this Turbo Stick was that it was not registering input for D-Pad right. Here's what I did:

1) Disassembled and plugged just the PCB into the console.

2) With one of the membrane switches in my fingers, I pressed it on each of the button pads. D-Pad right still was not registering inputs.

3) I began searching for damaged traces. Using a jumper wire, I bypassed the first trace between the button and the resistor. The button immediately began working. I've included pictures of the top and bottom of the board with the location of my jumper wire marked with red dots.

4) Here's the strange part, picking up the membrane switch again and using it on D-Pad right, the button all of a sudden functions normally. Does anyone understand why this happened?

http://imgur.com/a/DBX1J
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:37:19 AM by yxlplig »

mario_pic

Re: Turbo Stick PCB repair
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »
wet the pad with iso then slide the pad across some white paper or cardboard till the shine goes away on the black contact pads

gtsamour

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
Also in case you're thinking of replacing the caps on that, take notice that they are NOT polarized, they're bipolar.

yxlplig

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:25:54 AM »
I'm not interested in making any further repairs at this time seeing as how the Turbo Stick is 100% working.

I know this topic is kind of unusual, I'd just really like to know what happened in the electronics to bring it back to life. From my perspective, it appears as though this thing magically fixed itself.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:46:12 AM by yxlplig »

gtsamour

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
Just a proper cleaning can work wonders....