Author Topic: Turbo Pad (HES-PAD-01) Sticky D-Pad Fix  (Read 262 times)

yxlplig

Turbo Pad (HES-PAD-01) Sticky D-Pad Fix
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
It became necessary for me to find a solution to the sticky d-pad on this specific model of controller. I've had 4 of these now, and I've never seen one that didn't bind in 1 or 2 diagonal directions. So basically I just put some White Lithium Grease inside. I actually went a little heavy on the grease in this picture, you do not need to use a lot of it:

My controller works perfectly now. This fix should last a couple of years at least I would think. I believe the issue lies in the little nubs on the left and right side of the d-pad. They are too small and they allow the d-pad to be pulled into the opening which causes it to rub hard against the surface pointed out in the picture above.

There is a later revision of this controller (no model # on the back of it). The little nubs on the d-pad are much larger and it doesn't suffer this problem. However that particular d-pad seems to have a reduced range of motion and the whole controller just feels like cheap junk.

Hopefully someone else will find this helpful and some controllers can avoid the trash bin.

Keith Courage

Re: Turbo Pad (HES-PAD-01) Sticky D-Pad Fix
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
I am not sure why but the original older TG16 controllers have slightly different sized cases so what happens is the D pad plastic pushes too far down thus making it possible for it to get stuck. The newer manufactured TG16 controllers did not have this issue. There is another thread about the size difference in the forum somewhere.

Good idea with the lithium grease and glad it works.

What I've been doing is I just put two small strips of tape under the plastic part of the D pad which raises it slightly. I've never had one get stuck again and controls end up feeling more responsive like the newer type US controllers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:58:36 AM by Keith Courage »

yxlplig

Re: Turbo Pad (HES-PAD-01) Sticky D-Pad Fix
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »
That's an interesting approach, I'll have to try out that method next time I get another controller.

I have to say though, I'm partial to the way these D-Pads feel on the older controllers. Especially once greased, quarter circles feel really nice. Almost Genesis 6 button pad like, but not really. I suppose it's all personal preference.