Author Topic: TG16 CD unit laser doesn't move SOLVED  (Read 978 times)

gtsamour

Re: TG16 CD unit laser doesn't move SOLVED
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
What could cause this (the BA6290A go bad)? Is this normal ware or maybe a wrong psu connected some time before and damaged it?

Are there two BA6290A on a PCE CD? I can see two components that look like that in photos but are they both BA6290A?
If thats so.... is one for the laser movement and the other for the disc spin motor?

The turbo duo I have been repairing also had a bad BA6290A and would move the laser but not spin the disc.

Did the disc spin occur from time to time or never? On my unit it happens but not always... could it be the BA6290A?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:46:51 PM by gtsamour »

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 02:18:34 AM »
I can't say for certain what happened to the TG CD unit, but yes there are 2 of these on the unit. Only one was bad on the unit I repaired and it was the laser movement controller.

On the turbo duo, the laser would move to the inner position and that was all it would do. The disc would never spin. That one, someone had messed with the chip before and moved it to the bottom of the board as well as broke off one of the resistors on the board. So it was a bit more obvious.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

gtsamour

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 04:36:54 AM »
The turbo duo I have been repairing also had a bad BA6290A and would move the laser but not spin the disc.

Thank you for the info :)
My PCE cd unit was working fine (new caps, gear and lens installed by me, pots adjusted too) until I disassembled the unit to whiten it with retrobright.
When I put it back together carefully, the unit worked but started to behave strangely, some times it booted and loaded fine. Other times it seemed struggling to boot and the laser seemed to go back and forth with the disc spinning but failing to load. Other times the disk didn't spin.

Opened it up more than once but couldn't see anything wrong with it (ribbons half way in, clogged gears etc). While trying to find out what was wrong I ripped the wide ribbon right through, so now I'm waiting for the new one.

So I still don't know what was wrong in the first place. I'm thinking I might have damaged the ribbon without noticing while I was putting the unit back after the bleaching, or the laser started to die although it was new or the BA6290A started acting up. I ordered two from ebay just in case.. Easy to find and thankfully cheap.

Fingers crossed, I hope replacing the laser will be all that's needed.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:43:03 AM by gtsamour »

gtsamour

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »
Thank God it was the laser. Seems to be working OK now, cd spins every time. Every now and then it may take longer to load Dracula X but I guess that has to do with the disc being a CDR, all my pce cd systems do that sometimes.

It seems I damaged the ribbon without noticing when I took it apart to retrobright it.

Do the pots need re adjusting every time the laser is changed?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:52:09 AM by gtsamour »

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
Possibly. It's a different laser so the pots may need to be compensated in return.

gtsamour

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
It was a pain finding a new KSS-220A and it cost me 50 euros postage included... but what can you do... there is an Austrian guy on ebay selling new Denon KSS-220A and still has 6 of them for sale if someone is interested.
If someone knows of a different source for new ones it would be great to let us know.

gtsamour

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 10:22:14 AM »
I managed to adjust the pots with the new laser installment, frankly there was no change compared to the previous settings....

one thing is strange though and I would like your insight....

all cd-r games I tried (Taiyo Huden), load fast and play fine (data loading ok and all audio tracks play crystal clear).
But two genuine pressed audio cds out of a total of 11 I tried, will not play OK (skipping after a later track on one and bad audio on the other, with very faint static like distortions but clearly audible).
The other 9 audio cds play absolutely fine, all tracks.

How can this be explained? The 2 problematic audio cds don't have any scratches or dirt on them.

The weird thing is that I tried to adjust the pots using one of the "bad" audio cds and it was impossible, it wouldn't play OK no matter what.

And finally, this "bad" cd was playing fine with my previous laser (before I replaced it)....
The previous KSS-220A was Sony and the new one is Denon.... could that make a difference? (maybe the laser power setting is lower on the Denon)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:54:29 PM by gtsamour »

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
It's hard to say. From my experience these lasers can be very picky. They all seem to find something they don't like. Your best bet might be to have someone with a scope try adjusting it for you.

gtsamour

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
But isn't that weird, that it would play all CD-Rs OK, it will play silver pressed audio cds OK and just two out of 11 of them have problems?

I thought that all silver pressed cds have the same reflectivity (and better than any CDr's) and thus, I would expect either all of them to be playing OK or none of them... isn't that so?

Also I would expect the silver pressed audio cds to be playing OK first and then any CD-R due to better reflectivity. In my case all CDRs i made play absolutely fine with excellent loading times, every time.

As for an Oscilloscope... would these cheapos that go around ebay suffice? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4-TFT-Digital-Oscilloscope-Kit-DIY-Parts-Acrylic-Case-Cover-1M-HOLD-Function/282518516105?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3Deaa4abd3c8bb4e77874980abb0eedcc7%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:20:12 PM by gtsamour »

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
I can't say for certain why 2 of your CDs won't play, I am really just speculating. For the scope you would not want to use one of those. The cheap scopes don't support high enough frequency and generally the sample rate is too long.

gtsamour

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 06:34:01 PM »
Steve said it might be due to more thickness on these two.
I'm suspecting that my issue is laser power related..... I was unable to make two audio cds play by adjusting the pots but 9 others play OK, so it has to be laser power related, maybe it needs to be a tiny amount higher.

I may try to increase the power just a little bit and see what it does.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:24:09 PM by gtsamour »

mario_pic

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »
iv seen a short caused by not useing the silver insolator thats under the top cover  cause drive to short chould be that