Author Topic: Busted TG16  (Read 282 times)

vestcoat

Busted TG16
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:53:13 PM »
There's a lot of talk on here about broken Duos but not much about our sturdy friend the TurboGrafx...

So, I got a deal that was a little too good on a used TG16 on ebay and, of course, it arrived in the mail not working.
I tested the used Tubochips that came with it on my Duo and they didn't work until I cleaned them, so it's possible that the system is really dirty.
Anyway, I can't get the deck to work.  I know it's getting power, but the screen always comes up with just a solid color, usually white.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Do old Turbo decks have any common problems I should look for?
I have the proper screwdriver bit if there's anything simple I can do.

SignOfZeta

Re: Busted TG16
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:38:43 PM »
Yeah, I'd say its probably just dirty.

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 03:00:39 PM »
I've tried a lot of different games, I doubt it's just dirty.  What's the best way to clean a Hucard port?  I opened the system up but i was hesitant to remove the metal shield.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 03:18:03 PM »
I've tried a lot of different games, I doubt it's just dirty. 

If the cart port is suspect (I'd say it is) then I don't see how it matters how many games you've tried.

What's the best way to clean a Hucard port?  I opened the system up but i was hesitant to remove the metal shield.

It won't be any easier with the system taken apart. The HuCard socket itself is pretty well closed up. I've never had to clean one, but I think a good way to do it would be to use some really fine sandpaper, like 800 grit or more, and wrap it around something about the same thickness as a HuCard. Some sheet styrene from a model supply store, or maybe even an actual HuCard. Something slightly thinner would obviously be better to make up for the thickness of the paper. Soak the sandpaper in alcohol, and voilia, instant cleaning kit. Insert about a million times, and maybe that will fix it.

If not, I have no idea. I've never even seen a broken TG-16.

Odonadon

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
Typically a pencil eraser works great for cleaning contacts, but I don't think that's an option unless you can get in there to see the contacts.  Can't think of any other similar type of rubber that would fit...  With sandpaper you run the risk of scoring the contacts - meaning less surface area and potentially a difficult time making contact.  However, if you use something fine enough and only a few times it should be okay.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

vestcoat

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 07:22:03 PM »

If the cart port is suspect (I'd say it is) then I don't see how it matters how many games you've tried.

I've tried brand new hucards and new games usually have a better chance of working in a dirty system.  Whenever I've had problems with dirty contacts on cartridge systems I've been able to get different results by pulling games in and out, blowing on the contacts, etc.  I think I have something more than just a dirty system because everything I've tried has always resulted in a plain white or off-white screen everytime I turn the power on.  Other symptoms I've experienced with dirty systems, like scrambled graphics, freezing title screens and buzzing have not occurred.  I also tried cleaning the system with a plastic card and solution for a SNES from an old Doc's cleaning kit.  The card is the exact size of a hucard but thinner, so it's not a very tight fit but I did the best I could.  I also blasted the port with a hair dryer with no success (it's worked on my NES).  Any other ideas? :-k

nat

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »

I've tried brand new hucards and new games usually have a better chance of working in a dirty system.  Whenever I've had problems with dirty contacts on cartridge systems I've been able to get different results by pulling games in and out, blowing on the contacts, etc.  I think I have something more than just a dirty system because everything I've tried has always resulted in a plain white or off-white screen everytime I turn the power on.  Other symptoms I've experienced with dirty systems, like scrambled graphics, freezing title screens and buzzing have not occurred.  I also tried cleaning the system with a plastic card and solution for a SNES from an old Doc's cleaning kit.  The card is the exact size of a hucard but thinner, so it's not a very tight fit but I did the best I could.  I also blasted the port with a hair dryer with no success (it's worked on my NES).  Any other ideas? :-k

Only that I'd say it's conclusive that the port is either dirty or defective and it's not any other part of the system. The white or off-white screen is what happens when the TG recognizes there is a cart inserted but can't read it (for whatever reason). Could be that some of the contacts are bent or otherwise not making contact correctly.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 09:13:56 PM »
Whenever I have a dirty card or whatever in my TurboGrafx, the color of the screen is random.  You can turn it on and off and get a different color each time.  Same thing happens if you try to turn it on without a card.  One thing that you might try is inserting a HuCard all the way, but before turning the power on, move the HuCard out every so slightly, but not so much as it blocks the power switch.  You can even try pushing the right side in a little more than the left, so the card is slightly crooked, etc.   Do stuff like that.  I find that can help.  This may not be the problem but it's worth trying everything.

2X4

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:16:31 AM »
You have dirt - we all agree on that.  Could be on your cards or on the port, or both.  To fix all of those problems, take a turbochip and clean it thoroughly with alcohol and a q-tip.  Concentrate on the contacts and the seam where the black plastic around the contacts meets the white plastic that forms the bottom. There is a tiny ridge where that seam is, the white plastic is slightly higher, and dirt collects in there.  It doesn't take much to create the issue you're having.  Once you're sure every molecule of impurities have been removed from your turbochip, stick in in and pull it out a bunch of times.  Insert joke here.  The upside to the dirt-collecting seam on the turbochip is it's great for scraping dirt off of your port.  Works for me anyway.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .