Author Topic: Game of the Month: August 2023 - Zipang  (Read 675 times)

geise

Game of the Month: August 2023 - Zipang
« on: August 08, 2023, 09:54:31 PM »
ZIPANG

New month and another late entry to start GotM. I've been in a puzzle mood lately so I went with Zipang. I dig this game a lot. It's a block puzzle game. Think Solomon's Key. So the way you play is you destroy blocks while avoiding monsters and try to obtain the key to get to the exit. It gets quite challenging, but I find it to be a lot of fun. There is also a password save that makes continuing fairly easy. I hope people join in. I don't think many did last month. Have fun guys!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 11:10:10 PM by geise »

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Game of the Month: August 2023 - Zipang
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 07:56:23 AM »
Think Solomon's Key.
I would go so far as to say "it's Solomon's Key". I'm a big fan of the NES game and when I learned of this on PCE, I picked up a copy (I think I got it from Barte at VGS years ago). I look forward to revisiting it and maybe get a few more levels deep.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

seieienbu

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 05:27:35 PM »
Solomon's Key is one of the earlier NES games that I remember playing as a kid.  A friend of mine had it and I have vivid memories of us playing Solomon's Key and Arkanoid, they're weirdly related in my mind.  Whatever, I didn't pick up the game myself until I got it used in high school.

As for Zippang?  I just bought a copy on ebay that'll supposedly be here in under 2 weeks.  My only real experience with the game was when I was downloading ROMs forever ago and thought "Oh hey!  It's like Solomon's Key!  This is cool!" but I never delved far into it.  I'll post a more thorough experience after I've spent some time with it!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 02:43:00 AM »
An interesting pick for GotM.  I've not yet spent much time with this one, so now's my chance!  If I can save my progress, maybe I can add this to my clear list one day.   :pcgs:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »
I've been wanting to do a PC Engine night stream soon, and this game seems the PERFECT game to play!  I've actually never played this and it's totally Solomon's Key! very unique and thank you for selecting this for the GOTM!

seieienbu

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »
Wow, I think that was 2 day delivery from Japan.  Fast!!  I'll see if I can give the game a shot this weekend.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

geise

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 10:39:17 PM »
I played this a good bit, but never cleared it. I got only half way through to floor 6. There's 12 floors total I believe.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »
I got about 15 floors in, but kinda fell off the boat on this one this month. It's a nice puzzler but it seems to me to have that 1980's "hard" challenge that my 15 year old self would have loved, but not so much now.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 01:39:16 AM »
Googlerins says there's 60 stages (I found passwords for 60 anyway) but I don't think I made it past 10.  I am le suck.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »
I've been wanting to do a PC Engine night stream soon, and this game seems the PERFECT game to play!  I've actually never played this and it's totally Solomon's Key! very unique and thank you for selecting this for the GOTM!

Well, I finally got a chance to sit down with this for an hour- Ooof, yeah, I'm pretty terrible, haha

https://youtu.be/WfqhXOfjr0E?si=f8SwFcYYsfl7_3qb