Author Topic: Did anyone ever make a TurboGrafx / PC Engine Cleaning Kit?  (Read 1088 times)

Duo_R

Re: Did anyone ever make a TurboGrafx / PC Engine Cleaning Kit?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
Good questions:

You didn't mention it in your "tour" but I am unclear on this statement:
     "What I have to do is clean with the cleaning cart all the way to the left, then all the way to the right."

Answer: Sorry that sounded confusing. The wand I have isn't the same width of a Hucard the thickness of the card is the same, but it is about 1/3 inch not as wide (side to side). So here is what You have to do:

First clean all the way to the left (in and out not moving side to side) 

Hucard Slot
 |'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|   
 |---------------------|
  ______________   /\
  |                     |  |
  |                     |  |_________ This spot isn't getting cleaned
  |                     | 
  | cleaning wand |
   \_____    _____/
           |   |
           |   |
           |   |
           |   |
           |   |
          /     \   
         |____|         

Then clean all the way to the right (in and out not moving side to side) 

Hucard Slot
 |'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''|   
 |---------------------|
           ______________  <---- Now the right side of the hucard IS getting cleaned  :dance: but you are only moving in and out (not side to side)
         |                     |
         |                     | 
         |                     | 
         | cleaning wand |
          \_____    _____/
                  |   |
                  |   |
                  |   |
                  |   |
                  |   |
                 /     \   
                |____|         

2. What kind of cloth is that exactly and in case I can't find something similar, would a rubbing alcohol /water mixture on cotton balls or Q-tips also work to clean the dirt off the cleaning wand?

Go grab an old T-shirt you don't care about, that will work fine. Just make sure you aren't getting a whole bunch of lint on the cleaning wand (you can blow it off, use an air can, etc). Here is your mixture - grab some isopropyl alcohol - like 60-70%. Pour that into a container, match the amount you poured in with water (you are not making it as strong, doesn't need to be). This solution is also good for cleaning hucards. Swabs are always great but you will go through alot trying to clean off the wand, T-shirt works just fine. Cotton balls wouldn't be bad. You can also use this mixture carefully to clean hucards, just don't over-saturate them (be conservative when cleaning your old school systems).

3. Finally, because I'm curious, how come you didn't use wand A? (the largest one) Very Happy Isn't that the wand the instructions say to use on the TG 16? Does it not fit in the chip slot or something?

Does the instructions even mention Turbografx? I don't think my did. The reason - I think it is too thin to really grab the dirt. Honestly, use whichever you want, this is just the one that worked for me.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

dhowerter

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »
Duo_R - WOW, awesome ASCII art  :D

Anyway, thanks for all the info!

ALL -

I also found another multisystem cleaning kit I have made by Naki.

Anyone here have this one? It says it cleans several systems including the Genesis, TurboGrafx, Atari systems, etc. It has a "handle cleaner" and a "joint" cleaner (the handle part goes in a larger cleaner) plus some cleaning wands for the games and some cleaning fluid.

Anyone here have this one and has used it on a TG 16 / PC Engine / Duo? If yes, how did it work?  :D

Duo_R

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
Pics? All cleaners are pretty straightforward.
Add my YouTube channel:

dhowerter

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
Duo_R - I currently don't have an available digital camera, so never mind for now :)

OS - I would not recommend a CD cleaner that uses liquid. The best kind is the one that has the little brush, and you play track 1 and then it will tell you to skip to the next track or something.

ALL -

Hmm, I have the "Recoton CD Game Laser Lens Cleaner" (cd with little brush on the bottom ;)

I want to know if it is safe to use (and if they work) on a Turbo / PC Engine CD or Duo because at the time I bought the cleaner, the Saturn and PS1 were out and those 2 systems had a slightly different way of holding the game disc than the NEC systems do.

The PS1 and Saturn have one of those little rotating plastic nubs with little metal things on it to HOLD the game disc securely to the nub. The NEC systems don't have that, right? The disc just sort of lays there on the spindle in the NEC machines, correct?

I figured that because of that difference, the disc might be a slightly different height from the laser lens in the ps1/Saturn vs the NEC cd systems. (and thus the brush, too high or too low).

SO, has anyone tried using one of these brush on a CD devices (Recoton or other brand) on a TurboGrafx / PC Engine CD OR on a Duo (of any type)?

dhowerter

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »
Hasn't anyone tried one of those "brush on a CD" laser lens cleaning discs on their NEC CD system? (Turbo CD, PC Engine CD, Duo, Duo-R, etc.)

If you have, please try to answer the question in my November 26th post.
    (Is it safe to use / does it work on NEC CD systems? ;)

Thanks! ^_^

Duo_R

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »

It works, use it. I have used on my Duo before. Keep in mind that cleaners were around before the Saturn or PS1. :twisted:
Add my YouTube channel:

dhowerter

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »
Well, that is good to know. If I ever get a NEC CD system and have problems I'll try the cleaning cd first.

But just in case that fails .. :-k

Anyone ever try the "put isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and water mixture on the end of a Q-tip and gently clean the laser lens" method? (on ANY cd-based system - NEC, Saturn, PS1, Sega CD, etc.)  :mrgreen:

Duo_R

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »
You should change the name of this thread to "Did anyone ever use ______________ to clean your Duo???"  :lol:

Compressed air is how I roll (and don't use it too close). You could try what you are doing but very little damping of the Q-tip and be extremely gentle with the laser pickup. Just like barely swipe it. Only necessary if you see some build-up on the laser.

Well, that is good to know. If I ever get a NEC CD system and have problems I'll try the cleaning cd first.

Anyone ever try the "put isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and water mixture on the end of a Q-tip and gently clean the laser lens" method? (on ANY cd-based system - NEC, Saturn, PS1, Sega CD, etc.)  :mrgreen:

Add my YouTube channel:

dhowerter

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »
You should change the name of this thread to "Did anyone ever use ______________ to clean your Duo???"  :lol:

Compressed air is how I roll (and don't use it too close). You could try what you are doing but very little damping of the Q-tip and be extremely gentle with the laser pickup. Just like barely swipe it. Only necessary if you see some build-up on the laser.

Duo_R / ALL -

Heh. Well, technically, it might not be a Duo I clean, but a Turbo CD or PC Engine CD  :wink:

2 questions:

1. About my Q-tip / alcohol & water method for cleaning the laser lens:

Once I clean the lens (vey gently  :mrgreen:), do I DRY it with a dry Q-tip (would that scratch the lens even if I am very gentle?) or would it be better to just let the water / alcohol evaporate?

2. I've never used compressed air; would you aim it directly AT the laser lens (from in front of the lens) to clean it or more parallel to the top of the lens (more from the side)?

Also, what is a good distance from the can to the lens?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:50:06 PM by dhowerter »

Duo_R

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
probably ok to gently dry with a q-tip. If you don't' use alot of alcohol it will evaporate, but just a quick wipe will do the trick.
Add my YouTube channel:

Mobius

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »
Oh my god, this thread....

Duo_R

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 04:08:46 PM »
yeah....dhowerter PM if you need more info related to this   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Add my YouTube channel:

Mobius

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
yeah....dhowerter PM if you need more info related to this   :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, no... Don't mind me.  It's really quite amusing!

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Duo_R

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 03:56:21 PM »
Should work just fine, Mad Katz is good stuff. Looks like you get the CD and game cart cleaners in one. By the looks of it looks like there is one that will work for the hucard slot. You get a bunch of them, just use the one that is closest in thickness to a hucard (not thicker).

I wonder if these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170036269708&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Add my YouTube channel: