Author Topic: RPGs In English  (Read 2715 times)

SNKNostalgia

Re: RPGs In English
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2007, 11:57:55 PM »
Jesus-titty-f*cking Christ Joe... not hating on you, but giving some incite. It almost seems like you have entirely skipped the SNES RPG scene if you haven't even played FF 6 yet. BTW, I know it sucks having an RPG without the main character interacting at times, but there is a reason why they do this. It isn't because they are incompetent writers or anything. It just leaves room for characterization in yourself, you know imagination. It is more of an observing character. Some games, it seems to be OK and then some it doesn't. It is just a form of interacting with your own thoughts. I am used to creating things, whether it is physical or imaginary. It is the true form of fantasy.

This is why I play music (Drums and Bass Guitar) and I also oil paint on canvas. Lately, I have been focusing on my rock/metal music since todays pop music is destroying my soul almost everyday. It is at its all time worse now. It is even causing good musicians to do not as well. I used to be a very technical person until I realized there is more to life than hype and faddish BS. The mediocre crap is going to fill the void, so it is great to see good musicians fill it than it is to see Jessica Simpson or some other rich nobody. Rage Against the Machine and Smashing Pumpkins are reuniting for Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, I am there. BTW, George Bush is the f*cking R-tard Anti-Christ. Ahhh, beer number 10, it is the holidays. I have nothing else to say.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2007, 01:17:09 AM »
Couldn't you get like bazookas or something in Secret of Evermore? I really want to play that game since I've barely played it!

Yup. 3/4 toward the end the bazookas come along

Keranu

« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
Couldn't you get like bazookas or something in Secret of Evermore? I really want to play that game since I've barely played it!

Yup. 3/4 toward the end the bazookas come along
That's so awesome :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2007, 08:01:02 PM »
SNKNostalgia... true, I haven't played through most of the SNES RPGs, but I have played them all.  Unfortunately that consists of rentals back when they came out.  That was when I didn't care too much for RPGs.  I liked them, but I enjoy them much more now even though they are not even close to being my favorite genre.  I want to play FF3/6 and Earthbound if that is an RPG.  The internet tells me that those two games are the best games ever made and that it is impossible to make anything more enjoyable in any form of entertainment (it's the SNES, after all).

As for the silent character, I figured that was the designer's reasoning, but it is a rather poor reason.  I don't envision Chrono as myself or having my personality and thoughts.  It doesn't work well with a game like Chrono Trigger, but somehow the Ys series manages to pull it off very well.

FM-77

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »
Silent protagonists rock, as RPG producers worldwide are unable to create talking protagonists that aren't asses. This is for a reason though, because when the protagonist IS an ass, they can make him less and less of an ass, until the very end of the game where he turns into a saint. It's called "character development" and is the shittiest most important feature of all RPGs.

Black Tiger

« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2007, 03:29:22 AM »
SNKNostalgia... true, I haven't played through most of the SNES RPGs, but I have played them all.  Unfortunately that consists of rentals back when they came out.  That was when I didn't care too much for RPGs.  I liked them, but I enjoy them much more now even though they are not even close to being my favorite genre.  I want to play FF3/6 and Earthbound if that is an RPG.  The internet tells me that those two games are the best games ever made and that it is impossible to make anything more enjoyable in any form of entertainment (it's the SNES, after all).

As for the silent character, I figured that was the designer's reasoning, but it is a rather poor reason.  I don't envision Chrono as myself or having my personality and thoughts.  It doesn't work well with a game like Chrono Trigger, but somehow the Ys series manages to pull it off very well.

Earthbound is not a good game at all. Its got unique aesthetics that can entertain the right people. But the overall real actual game beneath is well below average by RPG standards.

I don't really care too much about deep story in RPGs. I always just liked the gameplay. Which is why I've had so much fun with imports. I'd rather play a game with minimal story than a fully fleshed dud of a story. I still appreciate RPG's with well done storytelling like Kabukiden all the more, but its not why I'm playing an RPG in the first place.

So I don't mind mute main characters in a game like Ys or even Shining Force. But some games end up doing some ridiculous work-arounds in dealing with speechless characters that only drag down the game and story because the developer didn't think through the logistics before tacking on a silent protagonist.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:36:09 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2007, 04:11:04 AM »
I remember Earthbound getting some really bad reviews when it was new, but recently it has gotten quite the reputation for some reason. It's definitely not a good game at all, it's just got its own unique style (which I don't like, but others obviously do).

Black Tiger

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »
I remember Earthbound getting some really bad reviews when it was new, but recently it has gotten quite the reputation for some reason. It's definitely not a good game at all, it's just got its own unique style (which I don't like, but others obviously do).

Many games get too much credit for being 'different'.

Like Psychonauts. I like the game, but its got some pretty messed up design and gameplay. Its still fun, but far from genius.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
Psychonauts is only getting credit from über-nerds. Nobody bought it, and yet everybody's screaming about how much it rules online. :roll: