Author Topic: best turbo sports games?  (Read 585 times)

BonkThis

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 06:13:49 AM »
I love Madden, great game.

I never got into TV sports football, as a kid I rented it I couldnt even figure out how to run a play, it just seemed way too complicated.

Now TV Sports hockey thats where its at!! For me this game was so far ahead of its time and it's super fun to play. I think the best score I ever had was beating the CPU like 49-3 yes 49-3 in a hockey game... def check it out..

Keranu

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 11:39:12 AM »
Oh yeah, I kinda enjoyed TV Sports Hockey as well. I prefered Hit the Ice though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 12:42:12 PM »
dunno if you consider this as sport but check out Naxat's Break in. Its really cool pool/billards game.

I think naxat open is pretty good golf game too.

ParanoiaDragon

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 02:26:50 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about TV Sports Hockey, loved that game!  I got addicted to it.  I liked Football, but, mainly when you put in the turbo code so that they run really fast!

Black Tiger

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 03:19:12 PM »
Don't forget Cyber Dodge!

What's cooler than Cyborgs versus Ninjas dodgeball?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 03:28:08 PM »
I was going to mention Cyber Dodge, but couldn't think of the correct name. That game has the coolest teams, as you have posted before :D .
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

runinruder

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
Now TV Sports hockey thats where its at!! For me this game was so far ahead of its time

I wouldn't say that.  It came out for Turbo at about the same time that NHL Hockey was released for Genesis, and NHL was MUCH better.  

The only thing I like about Hockey is the title screen music.  The passing is atrocious and it uses the same "moving arrow" shooting system as Blades of Steel, which barely qualifies as a hockey game.

Speaking of atrocious passing, the "move the arm" system in TV Sports Football was one of the worst ideas in any sports game ever.  The running game and every other element (with the possible exception of field goal kicking) were also poorly executed.

TV Sports Basketball was no picnic either, but it's probably the best of that sad bunch.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Odonadon

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 07:35:25 PM »
Quote from: "runinruder"
Now TV Sports hockey thats where its at!! For me this game was so far ahead of its time

I wouldn't say that.  It came out for Turbo at about the same time that NHL Hockey was released for Genesis, and NHL was MUCH better.  

The only thing I like about Hockey is the title screen music.  The passing is atrocious and it uses the same "moving arrow" shooting system as Blades of Steel, which barely qualifies as a hockey game.

Amen.  I once saw the puck change direction mid-pass, and go to another team-mate. :) The game was just quirky and never quite felt right.  I still like it, but NHL is way better.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

BonkThis

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 03:52:13 AM »
When I meant ahead of its time I was mostly referring to the shots on net in the close up view. I always thought it was a great concept.

hit the ice was a fun game as well.

2X4

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 04:41:52 AM »
Madden DCD Football is awesome!  I have played plenty of football games, and it is amazing how many features associated with later gen football titles are incorporated in this early game!  I had only played it briefly before reading this thread, as most turbo sports titles are kind of lackluster IMO, as the console seemed to concentrate on other genres.  This game is a major exception.  Absolutely sweet.  Even the games minor flaws are likeable.  The video clips that are clearly skinny dorks dragged off the street and thrown into crappy jv practice jerseys!  That dude spikes the ball with authority for being like 170!  The "cheering crowd" of like 10 people clearly not sitting in a stadium (probably filmed at a nearby highschool) but on small bleachers!  It makes you want to cheer and laugh at the same time!  And the gameplay is great, easy to pick up and play, but with plenty of depth.  Keeper!
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Keranu

best turbo sports games?
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 08:03:32 AM »
Wow, MADDEN DUO CD FOOTBALL gets more love than I thought :D . I'm really interested in playing it and as I have said, I hate football!

PhilBiker

Re: best turbo sports games?
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 07:39:10 AM »

Speaking of atrocious passing, the "move the arm" system in TV Sports Football was one of the worst ideas in any sports game ever.  The running game and every other element (with the possible exception of field goal kicking) were also poorly executed.

TV Sports Basketball was no picnic either, but it's probably the best of that sad bunch.
So true, all the "TV Sports" games were horrible, they didn't even compare favorably with 5 year old NES titles.  (I even have a couple of them, not sure why I even do)  I had some friends who played them like crazy back in the day, but went out and bought other systems just to play sports games.  The Japanese baseball and basketball were passable.  I remember at least one of the golf games was fun, and one of the tennis games was fun, too.  the one with the "quest". 

The complete lack of any legitimate sports games was one of the biggest things that killed the US Turbo Grafx system.  NEC took a chance on the upstart company with zero experience "Cinemaware" and their titles were horribly bad.  Barely - just barely playable.  I mean as a Turbo fan back then I would have been embarrased to show them to any fan who even had an 8 bit NES with Tecmo Bowl and Blades Of Steel.  Atrocious.

I remember the Cinemaware "TV sports" games came out for the PC also, as $5 budget-basement filler for Babbage's.

I even sent a letter to TTi back in the day soon after buying my Duo telling them that they really needed to get with it on the sports games but it was too little too late.  The Tap could have made sports games great.

I do enjoy John Madden Duo football, but when it came out it was already at least two years out of date, the other systems' Madden games were better.  And the FMVs in the Duo version are for the most part embarrasing.  Except the ref making the calls, I like that, and the measurement when things are close.

Oh - just remembered.... I agree with Keranu.  5 player Battle Royale was an absolute HOOT!  Personally I'd count that as the best sports game for the USA TurboGrafx/Duo.  Really really fun.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:56:35 AM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:02 AM »
Nice post.

And awesome, another Battle Royale fan  8) . I mean really it's the best wrestling game ever made - it's simple, hilarious, five players, and pure fun!

gundarN

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
I like Final Match Tennis and J-League Tremendous Soccer '94 (real football :D ).

td741

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 08:53:12 AM »
NEC took a chance on the upstart company with zero experience "Cinemaware" and their titles were horribly bad.  Barely - just barely playable. 

Umm... Granted, "Cinemaware"'s sports titles aren't that great...  However, they did make some great games before those: http://www.cinemaware.com/vault.asp?vault=games .  Their best game was Defender of the Crown, followed closely by Wings and Three Stooges...  (Rocket Ranger wasn't bad if I remember correctly. :P)  The Amiga and PC versions of the games were good, with their console ports lagging behind...