Author Topic: Joystick round-up  (Read 817 times)

Keranu

Re: Joystick round-up
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 01:27:36 PM »
Not even the Saturn, Playstation, OR PC-FX have 64-bits!!!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rolins

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 04:21:04 PM »
I picked these sticks up a while back,never used them yet any good ?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/ninty_photos/DSC00039.jpg

That XE-1PROHE and ST are some the best stick around. They're compact and light, and the buttons are huge. Their joysticks do get stiff after a couple years, so I recommend adding some silicone grease. I've got the XE-1PRO (usb modified) and the XE-1ST2. Love these joystick and they're so damn cool looking. The PRO edition is my favorite, very responsive stick and large buttons. Absolutely perfect for playing Zanac on the MSX, or any maniac shooter.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:24:48 PM by rolins »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »
God may have created the SuperGrafx, but the Atari Jaguar created itself (God was not powerful enough to create it).  It's 64-bits!  64!!!!  Count 'em!  One.  Two.  Three.  Four.  Five.  Six.  Seven.  Sixty four!!

No offense, but the jaguar was only 32 bit.
Duuuurrrr, then why was it advertised as 64 bits!? Are you telling me that the Neo Geo isn't 24 bits too!?!?

the primary GPU executed a 32-bit instruction-set, while the remaining CPU (68000) was already established to be a 16-bit unit.

Don't we all love number games?  "Tom" consisted of a 32 bit GPU as well as 64 bit object and blitter processors.  "Jerry" was a 32 bit DSP for sound.  If I'm not mistaken - 68000s use 32 bit addressing, so I guess that they can be called 32 bit processors.  Atari was actually being modest calling the Jaguar 64 bit (32+64+64+32+32=224 bits, but still no Blast Processing).  Slightly more serious: the Jag does have a 64 bit bus, so that's a good enough reason to call it 64 bit - "Do The Math".   :roll:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
Jeez, I'm not dogging the Jag or anything,  :lol:. I was just saying that if the system reads code in sentences of 32 bits, it should be counted as a 32 bit system. I personally own a Jag and it kicks ass, so don't hate. Peace.

2X4

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
More and more I get the feeling like I'm the only turbo owner that never got a degree from DeVry University.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

torgo

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »
OK, to get back on track here. The best joystick that I've used for the Turboduo is the custom-built JAMMA Arcade stick from the GOAT Store. I got to try out a pre-production model and I LOVED IT!

http://www.goatstore.com/info.php?id=811322

I've only bought the Jaguar version so far, but I will be picking one of the Turbo versions up soon.
PS Nation

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 09:53:26 AM »
OK, to get back on track here. The best joystick that I've used for the Turboduo is the custom-built JAMMA Arcade stick from the GOAT Store. I got to try out a pre-production model and I LOVED IT!

I've only bought the Jaguar version so far, but I will be picking one of the Turbo versions up soon.

Haha, that's Kamino's joystick right? I wonder why he charges so much for them, joysticks are cheap to build.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:15 AM »

Looks interesting, but the proportions look a little too awkward to be comfortable - too big to hold onto but too small of footprint to be stable on a table (unless the base is super heavy).  I agree with Keranu - 75 bones is a bit too rich for my blood.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

TR0N

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »

I've herd of that site they make custom joysticks like http://www.massystems.com does.

Hmmm i see they make... nes ones as well i wounder how good they are.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »
I can't remember if I got to hold one of Kamino's sticks when I saw him last October. He has told me though that he gets the black boxes from Radioshack and they come in a few different sizes, but nothing too big.

neofan

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »
The Jag HAS to be 64 Bits...The Tramiels would never lie to us (would they)?  :roll:

And of course the Neo Geo is 24 Bits...they know what they are talking about too....these are the same people who denied EA permission to develop Madden for them...because we all know how bady THAT would have turned out.

later gamers
-scotty
PS: still waiting for an Attack of the Mutant Penquins sequel
Neofan's PC-FX Hints and Walkthrus
http://my.att.net/p/PWP-nec
"it's enough to get you started"

Take the awesome PC-FX quiz!
http://quizilla.teennick.com/tests/16054718/click-here-to-add-a-test-title

Keranu

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
And of course the Neo Geo is 24 Bits...they know what they are talking about too....these are the same people who denied EA permission to develop Madden for them...because we all know how bady THAT would have turned out.
Not to mention it would've made sales worse.[/quote]

Quote from: neofan
PS: still waiting for an Attack of the Mutant Penquins sequel
Dude me too!!!! And while we're at it, I want a Plumbers Don't Wear Ties sequel!

neofan

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 05:48:09 PM »

Acemore Freedom 16:  Were these ever actually manufactured?  Anyone seen one?  How’s the wireless?  How 'bout that Bonk head?

Lots of these overstock at Toys R Us back in the day...good think I didn't pay too much. The IR doesnt work well, and the IR box would fall apart if you sneazed within 100 feet of it

Ultimate Superstick:  This also remains an enigma to me.
[/color]
TONS of these once TTI gave up on the market...if you could find a reseller. I got a few for $2 each...then a bunch for $1 each...AND my friend was still making a profit! I really like these sticks for RPG's,  all the walking around in 16-bit RPGs were murder on my thumbs with the TurboPad or TurboStick. They also had suction cup thingies at the base and righty/lefty fire buttons.
They also featured "life saving slo-motion" (thats a quote from the box) :)

Like I said the Acemore 16 wireless ones were cheap and crappy, the Beeshu Supersticks actually lasted under heavy play, both were made for the US market...which is why I suppose there were tons leftover : /

later gamers
-scotty
Neofan's PC-FX Hints and Walkthrus
http://my.att.net/p/PWP-nec
"it's enough to get you started"

Take the awesome PC-FX quiz!
http://quizilla.teennick.com/tests/16054718/click-here-to-add-a-test-title

vestcoat

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »

Acemore Freedom 16:  Were these ever actually manufactured?  Anyone seen one?  How’s the wireless?  How 'bout that Bonk head?

Lots of these overstock at Toys R Us back in the day...good think I didn't pay too much. The IR doesnt work well, and the IR box would fall apart if you sneazed within 100 feet of it

Ultimate Superstick:  This also remains an enigma to me.
[/color]
TONS of these once TTI gave up on the market...if you could find a reseller. I got a few for $2 each...then a bunch for $1 each...AND my friend was still making a profit! I really like these sticks for RPG's,  all the walking around in 16-bit RPGs were murder on my thumbs with the TurboPad or TurboStick. They also had suction cup thingies at the base and righty/lefty fire buttons.
They also featured "life saving slo-motion" (thats a quote from the box) :)

Like I said the Acemore 16 wireless ones were cheap and crappy, the Beeshu Supersticks actually lasted under heavy play, both were made for the US market...which is why I suppose there were tons leftover : /

later gamers
-scotty

Thanks Scotty.
Now that you mention it, I do dimly remember tons of those Freedom 16s wasting space in Toys R Us.  They already looked shop-soiled when I got my TG in 92!  Still, it would be a sweet find to get one with a Bonk head.  Were there any other wireless controllers made in the US?

My general review of all the "retail" joysticks I've tried for the TG-16: None are great, a few are adequate, most just suck.  :mrgreen:

So...which one of the "adequate" ones do you like best? :mrgreen: