Author Topic: Mindrec games - will they fry my Duo?  (Read 378 times)

PhilBiker

Mindrec games - will they fry my Duo?
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:12:57 AM »
Will the Mindrec games hose my TurboDuo?  Do people only use them on the more CR-R friendly (as I understand) TG-CD and Japanese systems?
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

MrFulci

Re: Mindrec games - will they fry my Duo?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:44:40 AM »
My Duo played Implode, but refused Meteor Blaster. Meteor Blaster was a CD-R.

I'm not sure if the brand of CD-R would make a difference, as I have not attempted to test a different CD-R in the system. However, that is an idea.... I'd be curious if a brand of CD-R I have around here (Sony) would play in my Duo...
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

kenomac78

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
i made a back up of implode and the CD R played fine.  i read that to burn at 1X makes the CD r have the most quality whe playing. but if some CD rs wont pay then the future releases could have  some hurdles.

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:08:10 AM »
Have no fear with Implode--it is a genuine CD.
By the time Meteor Blaster was made Mindrec had no option but to release in on a screenprinted CDr.
I used Meteor Blaster US Duo that was manufactured in August 92.  I had used a CDr on it once before without a problem and I had also played tons of music CDrs on it back in the late 90s.  Meteor Blaster didn't "fry" my system but it locked and jammed my lens all the way on the far right side.  I found advice and returned the lens to it's position but then the music started cutting out on my CD games.  Some games were worse than others, and the music would load fine on some shooters and action games after the first couple stages.  I still have that old Duo and I hope to get it fixed some day.
Despite my woes, I won't worry too much about it if I were you.  Mindrec and TZD were very helpful, they deserve support and I heard that they test all of the discs on a real system.  If you DO have a secondary deck, using it might be prudent just because US Duos are so outrageously expensive these days.  If not, remember that Meteor Blaster has been out now for some time and I'm sure tons of people have played it on US Duo's just fine. 

Edit:  I would warn against using a Signature edition of Meteor Blaster in an August 92 Duo however.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:11:55 AM by vestcoat »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:17 AM »
Agreed.  I've never had any problems with Implode or Meteor Blaster, but I only played M.B. two or three times before chickening out.  I don't want to press my luck, so I play M.B. on Magic Engine instead.

Edit:  I would warn against using a Signature edition of Meteor Blaster in an August 92 Duo however.
Why's that then?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

runinruder

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 09:10:39 AM »
Is Xymati going to be a CD-R?  It looks pretty neat, but I'm not going to bother with it if it might screw up my system. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »
Why's that then?

That's the combination that froze my lens.

PhilBiker

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »
My Duo is October 1992.  I ordered both Implode and the regular edition of Meteor Blaster from TZD.  I guess I should be OK.

I just pulled my Duo out about a week ago for the first play in about 5 years or so, and I am addicted all over again!  The Duo is running great, and I'm loving the old games, trying them all out again.  I thought Deep Blue couldn't possibly be as bad as I remembered.  I was wrong.  I played through Bonk's Adventure last night - didn't defeat King Drool though.  What a brilliant game!  I'm mad though because I lost Soldier Blade, one of my favorites.  Can't find it, but I have the book.

I love the original Asteroids and have not liked any of the other versions I've played, so MB is a no brainer.  I love that Mindrec is able to make a game every few years, I have to support the great idea of independant games for such an old system!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:07:25 AM by PhilBiker »
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

runinruder

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:21:22 AM »
I thought Deep Blue couldn't possibly be as bad as I remembered.  I was wrong. 

Careful, mate.  There are some loyal Deep Blue fans around here.   :wink:

I'm mad though because I lost Soldier Blade, one of my favorites.  Can't find it, but I have the book.

Damn, that sucks.  It'll be expensive to replace.  Great game, much better than Super Star Soldier in my book. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 11:43:01 AM »

I'm mad though because I lost Soldier Blade, one of my favorites.  Can't find it, but I have the book.

Damn, that sucks.  It'll be expensive to replace.  Great game, much better than Super Star Soldier in my book. 

Deep Blue killed my father, and raped my mother!  :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »

Us Deep Blue fans tend to band together when the going gets tough. I imagine you'd have little to no fun running into us in a dark alley.

Deep Blue killed my father, and raped my mother!  :P

Them there is some fightin' words, friend.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 02:40:24 PM »
Is Xymati going to be a CD-R?  It looks pretty neat, but I'm not going to bother with it if it might screw up my system. 

Well, we have found a new source on producing pressed cd's, so Nod is looking into them, once one of our official games are ready(we're not going to release upadates of old games, that we're working on, those will be downloadable).  So, if we have success, then Mindrec will to.  Although, another option Nod is looking at, IIRC, is making our own pressed cd's, I guess he be doing all that work.  Not sure if BT would have us press cd's for him, probably would, as we're all friends, & I work for both teams, for Mindrec as a tester(& gave suggestions on how to improve upong Meteor Blaster), & ofcoarse Frozen Utopia as the music guy(along with gameplay concepts, & even some game concepts, with my own games being planned for the future).