Author Topic: Whats this card?  (Read 673 times)

guyjin

Re: Whats this card?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 05:06:51 PM »
Thumpin_termis: I just checked out Hi-Leg Fantasy on the debugger and sure enough.... the game uses the SCD/DUO additional 192k. Well I'll be damned. I guess that makes sense, since the copyright date on the card's title screen is 1993.

So, this means the Supergrafx (not being a duo) isn't compatible with everything?

The SGX just became a little less leet. But only a little.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

termis

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 05:22:58 PM »
Thumpin_termis: I just checked out Hi-Leg Fantasy on the debugger and sure enough.... the game uses the SCD/DUO additional 192k. Well I'll be damned. I guess that makes sense, since the copyright date on the card's title screen is 1993.

So, this means the Supergrafx (not being a duo) isn't compatible with everything?

The SGX just became a little less leet. But only a little.

If you have a SGX+RAU adapter+Briefcase CD-ROM system, I suppose that means it won't be compatible with the GameExpress card.

However, SGX+SCD-Rom unit (the gray piggyback unit) should still be compatible with the GameExpress card, since the SCD-Rom, just like the Duo, has the SSC3.0 card 2Mbit memory built in.

So the basic answer is, the SGX is still compatible with everything, as long as you have the right peripherals.

malducci

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »
I just checked and apparently there are multiple versions of the Game Express card (I know of 1.1 and 1.0). The early versions can only access 64k (that's built into the CD unit) and the later versions can access the 192k+64k in the way that the arcade card DUO does, that's on the Super CDROM 3.0 unit and the Duo models.

The later versions of the card can play all GE games, but the earlier versions can only play the earlier games.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:08:22 PM by malducci »

akamichi

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »
I wouldn't mind getting a hold of that card, if only for the sake of making my system 100% compatible with everything. (yeah, I have the 1.0 card as well).  However, I have no idea what the actual card fetches.  Though I've never actively looked for the card, I've never seen it for sale anywhere.
You probably won't find too many Games Express Cards by themselves.  They were included with every CD game so it's probably much easier just to buy one of the games with the card.  That's how I got mine.

termis

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 05:53:54 AM »
I just checked and apparently there are multiple versions of the Game Express card (I know of 1.1 and 1.0). The early versions can only access 64k (that's built into the CD unit) and the later versions can access the 192k+64k in the way that the arcade card DUO does, that's on the Super CDROM 3.0 unit and the Duo models.

The later versions of the card can play all GE games, but the earlier versions can only play the earlier games.

Ah, good info.  Had no idea.

You probably won't find too many Games Express Cards by themselves.  They were included with every CD game so it's probably much easier just to buy one of the games with the card.  That's how I got mine.

That makes sense.  I came across couple of their titles, and I recall them being on the pricier side - that's perhaps one of the reasons... 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 06:32:49 AM »
For those who haven't seen one, the Games Express CD games come in funky little jewel cases that holds both the disc and the system card (kinda cool looking).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

offsidewing

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:16 AM »
For those who haven't seen one, the Games Express CD games come in funky little jewel cases that holds both the disc and the system card (kinda cool looking).

Didn't the PCE game Populous (sp??) come in a similar format??  I thought there were a couple of CD games that came with a supplimental HuCard.

Too lazy to search...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 09:00:30 AM »
I don't think so.  Populous came in a double jewel case with two HuCards receptacles, and Populous: The Promised Lands came in a double jewel case with two disc holders.  The G.E. cases would hold the system card directly on top of the disc, not on opposite sides of the case.

termis

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 10:18:35 AM »
Any pics of the case?   :D

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »
:(  Sorry, but I don't own any G.E. games.  Perhaps someone else could be kind enough to share (nudge, nudge).

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 05:00:13 PM »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »
Neat.  Thanks for the pic.