Author Topic: Superiorities of PCE games vs. the others?  (Read 1283 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Superiorities of PCE games vs. the others?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 03:20:50 AM »
The SNES transparency color counts are a meaningless. It's almost always not used to...

The OP asked his question in a way that could be interpreted as a "hardware superiority" question, or as a "game superiority" question, quite cleverly.  However, I do not think it is a good idea to switch the topic from the former to the latter whenever superiority of the SNES, Genesis, etc. on a specific point becomes apparent.

For example: "The TGX wins in # of onscreen colours"  "No, the SNES does, technically."  "Yeah, but the way they are used..."  leads a simple discussion down confusing avenues.  # of colours is a measurable hardware stat, while artistic talent is a whole subjective topic to itself.

Comparative capabilities of systems is a very interesting topic in and of itself.  Discussions of actual execution are great too, but not in the same breath, because it always causes the logical thread of these discussions to unravel.

Okay, PCE has twice as many tile and sprite palettes as the SNES.

Why even bring transparency up if "number of colors on-screen" was already into execution territory?

The OP actually based this thread purely on an execution based comment though. I've read countless times the details of how and why the PCE is the fastest at animation, but I can never remember the specific details because I'm not a programmer intimately familiar with the inner working of all three consoles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 03:55:38 AM »
There is no absolute best between the three, no matter how fanboyish we may get around here. There is always going to be *something* that one of the other consoles can do better with the same game, no matter which one you're defending.

This quote alone is why the 16-bit era was so amazing and will never be repeated!

nodtveidt

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 04:07:33 AM »
Where's your source for this being "amazingly" slow?
Charles MacDonald's tech doc seems to suggest it. I don't always trust wikipedia but it's suggested there too.

ccovell

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 04:21:02 AM »
Where's your source for this being "amazingly" slow?
Charles MacDonald's tech doc seems to suggest it. I don't always trust wikipedia but it's suggested there too.

I can't find such a suggestion in either source...

nodtveidt

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2013, 04:45:47 AM »
Maybe my memory is hazy these days. Ah well, f*ck it.