Author Topic: Opinions on Might and Magic 3  (Read 576 times)

cho_aniki

Opinions on Might and Magic 3
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »

What does everyone think of this game?  As one of the rarer SCD games, is it worth tracking down?

The reason I am asking is I have never played any Might and Magic game, but I do enjoy role-playing games so long as they are not too drawn out
   and tedious.

Which is the better one to get, Might and Magic 3, or Order of the Griffon?

runinruder

Re: Opinions on Might and Magic 3
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:55:02 AM »
Oh hell yeah, Might & Magic III rules.  It's easily the best M&M game on any of the 16-bit consoles.  But it's very long and difficult, and requires a huge time commitment.  Don't buy it if you like your RPGs to be straightforward.  It's deep and complex and relatively open-ended.  But this is one game that gives you a lot of value for the price you to have to pay. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

FM-77

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:53 AM »
Ugh. That's all I can say. I hate Might and Magic, and the console ports are the worst (it's so obviously not meant for consoles). Avoid - you get no value for your money whatsoever.

Hmm, I think my best description for Might and Magic 3 PCE is... drawn out and tedious.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:00:53 PM by FM-77 »

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »
I played Might and Magic 3 on a Mac back in the mid nineties and liked it a lot.  Even though I had fun and invested a considerable amount of time, I don't think I made it more than 20% through the game.  The thing is a frickin' monster.  My younger brother also played it but he went hog-wild.  After maybe six weeks of intense playing (with the guide) he finally beat the sucker.  I should also mention that he was probably 12 years old and homeschooled, so his free time was virtually limitless.
MM3 has not aged as well as Order of the Griffon and I'd highly recommend OOTG before trying MM3.  Also, the interface for MM3 is not as friendly without a mouse and keyboard and this has kept me from spending any time on the Duo version. 
However, if you're a fan of intense, non-linear, computer RPGs like Ultima and you don't mind the first-person perspective, MM3 is right up your alley.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:55:47 PM »
I've beaten it, every last monster, every last treasure, everything.  Wierd ending.  Clue to anyone who wants to make the game easier, get money in the bank, & then go to place around the corner where you get paid for working, it takes up I think a week of time in the game.  Keep doing it over & over again, go back to the bank & ooooh, look at all the money you now have in the bank!  Now, put more money in the bank, lather, wash, repeat.  It really starts taking off, when you're able to steal money n' stuff from the castles!  Putting several million in the bank, & watching it grow rules!  Ofcoarse, as time goes on, I believe you get older, & weaker, but, with all that damn money, you can buy any equipment you want!  So, thus making the game easier to beat. 

Yours truly,
PD

GUTS

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »
Runinruder is generally right on in his recommendations.  M&M3 completely rules on Duo.  Although you might want to download and try the PC version first through DOSBox and see if it's to your liking before shelling out the cash. 

Order of the Griffon is great too if you like your games more linear and easier to beat, M&M3 is definitely a complex monster like the other guys mentioned. M&M3 is more rewarding though if you really love D&D style stuff, Order holds your hand too much and has a much, much smaller world.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:01:17 PM »
You can also try the SNES version, which is a little different, & has quite a few glitches IIRC, though, some of those glitches work for your benefit, as they make it so you get more money or items or something.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »
I second runin's comments and the PS2 lover is correct too.  M&M3 is tedious in spots, but every RPG has boring parts involving leveling up, collecting money, etc.  It's a pretty good game, but whether or not it is worth the high cost depends on your personal thoughts on owning expensive games.

PS - M&M3 will eat up almost all of your save space (1969 out of 1726).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 07:11:56 PM »
Well, you could use save states in an emulator, but, yeah, otherwise, it eats memory for breakfast!

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 08:28:25 PM »
I am more of a fan of Heroes of Might and Magic. Those are some solid strategy RPG games. Also, I have always been a big fan of games like Command & Conquer and especially the Dune series for PC. As for console only, Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre where really good. Also try out Arc The Lad 1 and 2 for PS1, good shit.

jimid2

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 12:38:43 AM »
I'm more a fan of JRPGs than these sprawling D&D things (even though I'll admit that I played with hex dice in my youth, but then, there were no computers back then ;) )... Anyway, I finished Order of the Griffon back in the early '90s, but haven't played M&M3. What I remember about OotG (and a lot of those old "Gold Box" D&D games on my computer, for that matter) is having a stack of graph paper beside me so I could map the dungeons, because there's no way of really knowing where you are otherwise in a first person environment where every hallway looks exactly the same as the preceding one... and I used to think that was fun?!?  :roll:

Turbo D

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 12:40:30 AM »
I freaking always get lost in the castle on Towers 2, but thats another game for another day I guess.