Author Topic: Big Game Matchup  (Read 292 times)

runinruder

Big Game Matchup
« on: June 22, 2007, 04:26:39 AM »
Two good chip shooters.  Pretty tough call.

I think AZ has better graphics, though AB's are great.  But I think AB has better tunes, though AZ's are great.

So they're pretty even aesthetically, but AB has smoother gameplay.  AB is also longer and tougher and calls for more strategy.  And while AZ's shooting action is pretty straightforward, AB throws in things like the speed tunnels and gravity effects.

AZ has more personality, with the wacky allies and all, but I'll take AB's challenge over AZ's charisma. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Black Tiger

Re: Big Game Matchup
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:14:00 AM »
Aeroblasters easy. Ever since I first rented it I was hooked. There's just something about how everything comes together.

Air Zonk however, seems to be less than the sum of its parts. Its still cool(8)) and all, but has never felt like a great shooter to me gameplay-wise(more of an experiment).

I don't like how AB gets cheaper and cheaper the further you progress, but it gets away with it by having solid gameplay behind it.

Although I also prefer AB's tunes, I'd probably give AZ the edge overall. Not just because it's technically impressive with great use of samples or because the music itself is also good. But because it has massive quantity to go with its quality.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 05:17:59 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:21:55 AM »
I prefer Air Zonk because of the allies (the cow kicks ass), and Zonk deserves a couple extra points for being the mascot.  Aero Blasters has some good music, but I dig the tunes in Air Zonk a bit more.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:02:07 AM »
PC Denjin^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Turbo D

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:18:56 AM »
AirZonk all the way baby! I like air zonk better for many reasons. One being the awesome gameplay; I swear I can play it through a million times and not get tired of it. Another being the awesome soundtrack, man I love that opening song.  I also love the awesome grafix, especially all the parallax. You can't be satisfied if you only play the US version, the japan version has many cool changes. One being that instead of dropping bombs, you squeeze out purple shit that blows up. And when you fuse with the cow robot on the japan version, you grow tits and shoot milk out of them. Also the intros are different. Aeroblaster is a cool game too though. I really do love the rich color in Aeroblasters, that blue sky in the first level is incredible. Its tough to choose between them, but I chose AirZonk  :mrgreen:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:39:18 AM »
Has anyone asked Tommy Tallarico what his thoughts are on this controversial issue?

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:29 AM »
Air Zonk, though I'm not really into either game quite as much as other people, but I still like 'em both. I think Air Zonk was a lot more original and made a good game out of it. I also hated how weapons fell in AB.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 09:27:52 AM »
Here's another vote for Air Zonk.

I always thought like Air Zonk felt unlike any other shooter, to touch on what Black_Tiger said with his "experiment" comment. In this case, I believe it's a good thing that worked well.

Another being the awesome soundtrack, man I love that opening song. 

You and me both. That is easily the best song in the entire TurboGRafx library.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »
AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters, AeroBlasters....

Sorry, but AeroBlasters is a much better challenge and gets my adrenaline pumping. I always look forward to re-playing it.

:)
  |    |