Author Topic: Pushing the Limits of the TG-16/PCE hardware  (Read 1043 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Pushing the Limits of the TG-16/PCE hardware
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
Another game nobody mentionned is Dead Moon which has an incredible parallax scrolling...
A lot of people like to rag on it so maybe that's why no one's mentioned it. I always thought it was a nice solid title with pretty decent parallax.

nat

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 10:35:05 AM »
I like Dead Moon. Some of the enemies are a little generic, but it's still a fun game.

runinruder

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
Dead Moon isn't bad.  It has some impressive (for a HuCard) parallax and some nice tunes (stages 1 and 3).  And I like how the stage environments logically connect up.

But the enemy designs are wretched; it feels like you're fighting an army of flying... shapes.  The whole thing is pretty easy and not very intense, and there's nothing distinct about the gameplay (except maybe the turning-around aspect of boss battles). 

Considering how many awesome 16-bit shooters there were, Dead Moon ends up being pretty forgettable.  I think it's okay and all, but there are probably a good twenty-five shooters for the Duo alone that I prefer. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
I love Dead Moon, I think it's stage progression alone is what makes it stick out from other shooters and a very cool experience. Runin is right about the boring enemies though, however I think some of the bosses in the game were pretty sweet (especially the last).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
I agree whole-heartedly with runinruder.  I like Dead Moon too, but it doesn't stand up and shout when compared to Lords of Thunder, Soldier Blade, Air Zonk, Gate of Thunder, etc., etc., etc.  It gets even worse if you're not limited to the US releases.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

malducci

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »

Dead Moon: Whatever isn't supposed to be there, the aliens put there. It must have taken the aliens a while to make that under ground cave level on the Moon  :wink:

nat

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 06:14:32 PM »
That's nothing compared to the "Lake".

Digi.k

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 01:23:01 AM »
gasp where is the love for parodius!  :pray:

probably is trickery but konami seem to have pulled of some great sprite scaling

not to mention the offbeat design and great colours used

and the pink cloud and graveyard stages have even better layered scrolling than deadmoon
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 01:25:17 AM by Digi.k »

spenoza

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
Welp, Racketboy is still sitting on the article. I may pester him about it. Some games didn't make the cut. The list is less than exhaustive, but I think it covers the TG-16/PC Engine's range pretty well. I will keep you guys posted on it.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c