Author Topic: PC Engine GT Screen Issue & Power question  (Read 281 times)

vanray

PC Engine GT Screen Issue & Power question
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
Hey all,

As a short intro I am from London in the UK. Just purchased my first PC engine after a 20 year wait, a wait that was worth it!

I have recently bought a PC engine GT, it all seemed to be working fine aside from the very quite sound issue.

The biggest issue I have having is that the screen seems to take a while to warm up as virtually unviewable when first powered up but warms up and the its all good.  When the screen is unviewable the contrast switch has no effect at all.

I was wondering if anyone know what is causing this and if so will doing the video fix solve it?.

Lastly I am in the UK and can only seem to find a regulated 7.5v power supply, will this affect my unit in any way at all as not keen about overloading it at all.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Van

Platinumfungi

Re: PC Engine GT Screen Issue & Power question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:25:19 PM »
Hi Van,

Welcome to the forums :D Sounds like your GT needs the usual capacitors replaced that relate to the audio and the video. Please see the repair guide stickies for some good information and let us know if you need any further details.

As per the power supply, here's a great quote off another site - Most devices have a 10% voltage tolerance in either direction. So a 7V device will let you go 0.7V in either direction. Thus, up to 7.7V or down to 6.3V. The extra half a volt shouldn't make much of a difference.

EDIT: Just make sure the polarity of the plug is correct on that psu. The opposite charge could fry the GT.

vanray

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »
Thanks for the help, when you say the polarity of the plug I am a little unsure of what you mean?

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:12:13 AM »
He is talking about either center positive or center negative. Just make sure that the symbol on your psu matches the one on the console.

Platinumfungi

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »
Yep, Turbo D has a great diagram there  :D Just look for one of those images on the power supply somewhere. It's usually on the end plug itself, molded into the plastic.