Author Topic: Sega Master System colors  (Read 769 times)

Kitsunexus

Re: Sega Master System colors
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »
Neo-Geo used a 68000.  CD-I used a 68000.

Therefore Metal Slug = CD-I Zelda.

Well the Neo·Geo and CD-I lack sentience, so they can't really use anything but they did contain a 68000.  :dance:

Oh and btw, read the fascinating history of the CD-I Zeldas.

ccovell

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 01:10:03 AM »
Boy, is your idea of the uses of the verb "use" narrow!  You'd make a good law partner with Bill "is" Clinton.

The first counterexample I could think of for non-sentient uses of "use" was really common:

Photosynthesis uses the sun’s energy and water to convert carbon dioxide into carbohydrates and simple sugars.

etc etc

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 03:41:55 AM »
So then all those SMS screenshots online that have 20 colors or so, are the extra colors from coverting between file formats or something?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 04:29:09 AM »
So then all those SMS screenshots online that have 20 colors or so, are the extra colors from coverting between file formats or something?

20 is less than 32, so they're doable (it's 16 colors for background and 16 colors for sprites for a total of 32 on screen colors).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »

20 is less than 32, so they're doable (it's 16 colors for background and 16 colors for sprites for a total of 32 on screen colors).

I was confused by the early posts claiming that it was supposed to be limited to 16 at once. Still, games with a similar number of total onscreen colors sure look a whole lot better on NES than SMS.

I don't buy this BS about the SMS' CPU being slower than the NES CPU.  The SMS used a Z80.  The Neo Geo also used a Z80.  The Neo Geo wouldn't have used a Z80 if it wasn't totally bad ass.  Therefore SMS = Neo Geo.

The NES cpu crushing the wimpy Z80 would explain why on NES Altered Beast is silky smooth and Genesis fast compared to the slow SMS version. :wink:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:25:10 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ccovell

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »

Remember that any background tile can use either the BG or Sprite palette, so it's 32 for the BG alone, without resorting to sprites.

Bonknuts

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »

I was confused by the early posts claiming that it was supposed to be limited to 16 at once. Still, games with a similar number of total onscreen colors sure look a whole lot better on NES than SMS.

I don't buy this BS about the SMS' CPU being slower than the NES CPU.  The SMS used a Z80.  The Neo Geo also used a Z80.  The Neo Geo wouldn't have used a Z80 if it wasn't totally bad ass.  Therefore SMS = Neo Geo.

The NES cpu crushing the wimpy Z80 would explain why on NES Altered Beast is silky smooth and Genesis fast compared to the slow SMS version. :wink:

I dunno. I think you can see the difference in colors per screen usage when you look at the sprites. NES sprites are limited to 3 colors while the SMS 15 colors. Games like Megaman overlaid another set of sprites in order to get that higher color sprite, but this increases the occurance of flickers while still only upping the color count to 6. NES can do more than 16 colors on screen combined between the sprites and BG tiles, but sub-palette is what hurts it in comparison. Of course MMC 5( or was it 6) helped increase the color per sprite tile limit by mid screen swap outs. I'm sure Chris can elaborate on that more.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:18:43 AM by Bonknuts »

ccovell

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
I've never heard of any colour-per-sprite tile changing capability of the MMC5.  Sounds very unlikely.  The MMC5 (and VRC6) could allow every 8x8 tile on the background to have its own choice of the 4 NES palettes;  Without this feature, every group of 16x16 pixels had to share the same palette.

Bonknuts

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »
Ahh.. that's what it was.