Author Topic: Nolan Bushnell Thoughts on Todays Video Games  (Read 820 times)

guyjin

Re: Nolan Bushnell Thoughts on Todays Video Games
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »
ET is, in fact, as bad as they say. I had it when I was a kid. Frustrated me to no end. ](*,)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »
It refers to the good ol' days from one's youth.

But still, wtf does it have to do with salad? Am I thinking of the right salad, like Quizno's salad here? Seriously, I'm totaly lost.  >_>

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 03:17:10 AM »
I think I am going to start a gaming lobby called, "E.T.: Not As Bad As People Say"

I concur.  As a kid, I played the shit out of E.T. and suffered through an ass load of crappier 2600 games that were more broken and less playable.

But still, wtf does it have to do with salad? Am I thinking of the right salad, like Quizno's salad here? Seriously, I'm totaly lost.  >_>

Google tells me that it's from Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra in the speech at the end of Act One where Cleopatra is recalling her youthful indiscretions with Caesar: “My salad days, when I was green in judgment”.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 12:00:58 PM »
I repeat, what are they racing to the bottom of?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »

Apparently, the salad bowl. 0_o

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »

Apparently, the salad bowl. 0_o
Yep. Free salads for every meal starting Tuesday!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Golgo13

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »
This Bushnell guy does not make any sense.  When were most atari games more than 1 player? And my father thinks video games are mindless and he was only 20 when pac man came out.  I agree that most video games suck now because most of them don't offer anything but fancy graphics, but all those ludes and shit he must have done in the 70's is messing with his mind.

nectarsis

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 03:37:47 AM »
Bushnell is just a bitter, defeated person.  He went from being a GOD in the industry, to seeing the company he founded....that for years WAS video gaming reduced to the broken, almost bankrupt (again) company it is today. Like state already...games are not that diffetrent from yesterday, the graphics are just more realistic.  Yes you have the Manhunt 2, and other "extreme" games....but as a whole...games have more variety in genres than ever before.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »
First of all, the article linked is not the full article:
http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&AD=1&ArticleID=17133 < That's the whole thing. I'm only linking it in a sense of nonobjectiveness towards the facts, as it does not help his case at all and actually throws the fact that he's a money-hungry bastard into the mix.

Anyway I must say Nectarsis hit the nail on the head, much as TRON did in the first post.

You know how there's that old guy who is always rambling about the government/war/world today and how things were different in his day, how he had to walk 15 miles IN THE SNOW, and you sort of just nod your head and say "Mmmhmmm" because he'll lose track of whatever he's saying in about 40 seconds and fall asleep? That's kind of what this article was really created for.

This is just conjecture here, but if I were to put numbers to it, I would say about 75% of today's generation know that Atari made games before they became a publisher, 50% have actually willingly played old Atari games, 25% have played on their parent's actual hardware consoles, 15% know that Nolan Bushnell created Atari, 5% know that without looking in Wikipedia.

No one really gives a shit about what this man thinks, it's all just fanservice for the elderly. Videogames haven't evolved to a point where they're RADICALLY different from an Atari game, but they've evolved to the point where Bushnell can't keep up, knows he can't keep up and doesn't really want to keep up.

Bushnell's big stance is "social gaming"? On that page there's a great point made in the comments that even in these "blow them up" shooters, it's still ENTIRELY social with teamchat, etc...what about MMOs? Never even mentioned those, have you, Bushnell?

In the end, the world will continue to ignore him, and contrary to his belief, it will keep spinning on and on, and he will be left with nothing but a faded legacy and the glow of a Pong machine's monitor to shine on his deathbed.

And then Duke Nukem Forever should be out!  :dance:

EDIT: The Duke Nukem comment was meant as both an indicator of the passage of time and as a stab at 3DRealms' miserable failure, not in the sense of "I was just pulling your leg, I like Nolan Bushnell!". Because everything I said in this thread was true and I HATE Nolan Bushnell, for nearly killing gaming and for his bullshit comments. Gaming god my ass.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:28:19 PM by Kitsunexus »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:26 PM »
And wouldn't you know that the newest XKCD strip would happen to coincide with this?

nectarsis

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 02:23:15 AM »
I think the "social gaming" bit is funny.  May be old age...I don't remeber there being a Mario party type game (or the like) back in the day.  The only reason I remeber people "gathering in groups aka socially" to play games is not as many people had Atari's (at least by todays standards).  It was a "fad, or oddity"..it was new, and unique. I mean...social gaming...we have portables that cango online/link players, X Box live,Playstation network...yep, we all crawl in our caves, and play games in the dark unser a wet blanket...lol
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

guyjin

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 02:26:18 AM »
the guy throwing the tennis ball should be in a space suit. for no reason.  :D
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 08:34:21 AM »
I think the "social gaming" bit is funny.  May be old age...I don't remeber there being a Mario party type game (or the like) back in the day.  The only reason I remeber people "gathering in groups aka socially" to play games is not as many people had Atari's (at least by todays standards).  It was a "fad, or oddity"..it was new, and unique. I mean...social gaming...we have portables that cango online/link players, X Box live,Playstation network...yep, we all crawl in our caves, and play games in the dark unser a wet blanket...lol

Exactly, Bushnell just doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!  :lol: