Author Topic: What, in your opinion, is the ultimate chillout song?  (Read 678 times)

bust3dstr8

Re: What, in your opinion, is the ultimate chillout song?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »
I like to fall into my mushy recliner with a glass of Johnnie Blue, put on and stare into my fish tank.
Clowns Suck

ceti alpha

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 02:00:28 AM »
I like to fall into my mushy recliner with a glass of Johnnie Blue, put on Us and Them and stare into my fish tank.

Good call.  :clap:

And as you stare into the fish tank you think to yourself, "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl...".   :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Kitsunexus

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 06:41:28 AM »
"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl...".   :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

That is another great chillout song, along with "Welcome to the Machine".

ceti alpha

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 06:49:48 AM »
That is another great chillout song, along with "Welcome to the Machine".

Yeah, basically Pink Floyd were awesome. Though it's hard to pin down my favourite Pink Floyd album, I would have to pick Animals. It's weird for me to pick that one as a synth/keyboard player, since it isn't as synth heavy as the other albums, but there's just something about it. I really like dark and foreboding music and Animals definitely fits into that category.

Sinistron

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 07:01:43 AM »
Animals is definitely one of the best Floyd records and of the famous ones it's one of the least played out by classic rock radio- perhaps because of the song lengths.  If I hear Brain Damage/Eclipse or Have a Cigar again it'll be too soon. 

Don't think that Animals really classifies as a chillout record though as some of those tracks really move. 

Floyd does have some chillout tracks though, eh?  One of my favorites is Fat Old Sun on Atom Heart Mother.  Or Corporal Clegg on Saucerful. 

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 07:22:41 AM »
Yeah, basically Pink Floyd were awesome. 

What's this past tense nonsense?  They still sock my rocks off.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 08:09:27 AM »
What's this past tense nonsense?  They still sock my rocks off.

Hehe. I was waiting for someone to point that out.   :P

Basically, Floyd really ended for me when Roger Waters left. Not that the Floyd albums post Roger Waters aren't any good (in fact they're quite good), but it doesn't have the Roger Waters cynicism and content that he brought to Floyd. I'm sure there are some people who believe that Pink Floyd ended with Syd Barrett, and they may have some good arguments for that; but when Barrett left he was replaced with David Gilmore, so whatever void was there it was soon filled by him. When Waters left there was no one coming in to fill that void, and there is a void. IMHO."A Momentary lapse of Reason", was basically a Gilmore solo project. A lot of the songs were written by outside writers and Wright and Mason barely played on the album.

But it goes the other way too. Pink Floyd "The Final Cut" really isn't a Floyd album even though most of the band is there (Richard Wright was fired from the band at that point  :().

I'm not sure that's what you were getting at. Maybe you just meant that Pink Floyd are timeless and I wholeheartedly agree.  :) 

I guess the rifts between Waters and Gilmore are healing and there is even talk of reunion tour. How f*cking amazing would that be?!  :dance:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »
Maybe you just meant that Pink Floyd are timeless and I wholeheartedly agree.  :) 

That is what I meant, but I also thought that Waters had rejoined about a year ago.  Was that just a one shot concert?

U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 08:59:02 AM »
Was that just a one shot concert?

I think so. Waters wasn't into the idea of a reunion tour, but he could handle a one-off show here and there. Recently he's been quoted as saying that he's definitely open to the idea of a reunion tour, "Not to save the world or anything, but because it would be fun and fans would love it.".

Check out Wiki for the low-down on Pink Floyd. It's pretty comprehensive.

nat

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 02:55:35 PM »
They're too f*cking old, and only getting older. There will never be a reunion tour, although it's fun to dream. And yeah, all ill feelings between members have been patched up and they played that one-off reunion show a year ago or so.

Animals is definitely one of the best Floyd records and of the famous ones it's one of the least played out by classic rock radio- perhaps because of the song lengths.

You are spot-on. "Sheep" played a major part in getting me into the band to begin with. I was absolutely obsessed with them in 94/95. I remember getting The Wall for Christmas and listening to it all the way through for the first time. It was a musical experience to this day that remains unmatched for me.

During those years I got as many of their albums as I could find and found out about as much of them as possible.

All the songs mentioned as ultimate Floyd "chill out" tunes have been great suggestions. But really, for me, there is one as yet unmentioned that stands above all the rest and there is no doubt in my mind it is the greatest track Pink Floyd ever laid down. I would go so far to say it may be the best song ever written, and I'd be willing to defend that statement.

That song would be "Echoes."

ceti alpha

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »

Good call. Their Live at Pompeii video has an absolutely amazing take of that song. Hell, that whole video is gold.

Pink Floyd really are timeless. Every generation since has listened to them, and/or has stories about their experiences listening to the band.

nat

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 06:18:20 PM »

Good call. Their Live at Pompeii video has an absolutely amazing take of that song. Hell, that whole video is gold.

I have the Live at Pompeii DVD. And hell, give me Live at Pompeii over gold any day.

I especially enjoy the interspersed footage that was recorded during the Dark Side of the Moon sessions.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »
I love the fact that every time they make a big deal about the The Wizard Of Oz is played on TV (like they put promos in advance for it), one of the alternate audio tracks (usually reserved for Spanish) will ALWAYS be Dark Side Of The Moon.

Not just because it's a cool tribute to Floyd and the infamous DSOTM syncing, but because Spanish-speaking people will NEVER know what that movie is about.