Author Topic: What games should I get?  (Read 3329 times)

malducci

Re: What CD games should I get?
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2007, 01:52:13 PM »
Some parts of Ninja Gaiden the scrolls are choppy but OK, but quite a few parts are distracting (the first level comes to mind).

Anyway, the scrolling in Ys III never bothered my. Sure it was little choppy, but multi-directional scrolls on a 2.0 card was nice to see back then. While some or most people won't care, Ys III display system is insane. On those choppy parts, the game doesn't use hardware scroll registers - it doesn't scroll at all! The game dynamically rebuilds the screen from alt sets of tiles and sprites (used as tiles) every frame (or 2 frames - I forget). Console systems were tile and tilemap based, and weren't meant for this kind of computational process. I, for one, am glad they did it. Once the mood and music kicks in, the scroll choppy side effects are nothing more than an distant memory.

Not all the scrolling in Ys III could have been replicated like Shockman 3 and other games. Some parts yes, like the town area. But multi directional scrolls techniques are so limited that most of the time they can replicated what a true multilayer system can do. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2007, 01:48:33 AM »
Although the developers of the Turbo Ys III may or may not have known how to do multi plane scrolling for Ys III, I don't think that they even really tried.

The Turbo version is a straight port of the . Thats why it has the sprites and bgs from the computer versions and not much redrawn like the MD, SFC and X68000 versions. The Turbo port's scrolling is pretty much exactly the same as the MSX version, frame for frame, only everything runs faster.

At the very least, if they wanted to use the same technique, they might've been able to program it in at a smooth frame rate if it they weren't trying to simply replicate the MSX version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2007, 09:14:44 AM »
It seems that most Falcom game ports on PCE are closer to the computer originals than other console ports, but more polished.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

malducci

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »
Although the developers of the Turbo Ys III may or may not have known how to do multi plane scrolling for Ys III, I don't think that they even really tried.

The Turbo version is a straight port of the MSX version. Thats why it has the sprites and bgs from the computer versions and not much redrawn like the MD, SFC and X68000 versions. The Turbo port's scrolling is pretty much exactly the same as the MSX version, frame for frame, only everything runs faster.

At the very least, if they wanted to use the same technique, they might've been able to program it in at a smooth frame rate if it they weren't trying to simply replicate the MSX version.

If I remember correctly Hudson did the Falcom ports. Either way, there wasn't much of a choice for doing multi scrolling BG layers. There really isn't a way to increase the frame rate for that method. The only other option would have been to fake multi scrolling in some of the horizontal screens and static/no separate scrolls in other areas (vertical or multi directional).

Black Tiger

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2007, 04:28:57 AM »
If I remember correctly Hudson did the Falcom ports. Either way, there wasn't much of a choice for doing multi scrolling BG layers. There really isn't a way to increase the frame rate for that method. The only other option would have been to fake multi scrolling in some of the horizontal screens and static/no separate scrolls in other areas (vertical or multi directional).

If it was a matter of memory, couldn't the Super CD help to increase the frame rate?

And if it was a matter of horse power, if the MSX could do it, shouldn't the PC Engine be able to do more?

malducci

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
Well - the game wasn't on SCD but CD (1/4 the memory size). The original CD memory size is seriously limiting.

The game (pseudo) scrolls a tile width at a time - 8 pixels. The increased the res to 352 to help make the 8 pixel increment a smaller amount of movement overall. The PCE CPU being faster than the MSX2 Z80A ( is says 3.58mhz but divide that by 3 or 4 to get the rough equivalent speed so ~1mhz vs 7.1mhz), really can't change the specs of the display processor which is the limiting factor here.

There is a way to do that effect with half tiles by one set normal tiles and the second set a transition between two tiles, but this method takes up a lot more memory, gives less overall tiles per area because of the extra tiles taking more vram space, and reduces the number of colors per tile since they would have to share a palette (not that this would really effect Ys III and it's low color count).

Btw - I think they animated the enemies in a choppy frame rate to match the background, otherwise the smooth scrolling/animating sprites would make the multi BGs pitfalls even more noticeable.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 11:36:06 AM by malducci »

Arjak

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2007, 06:33:17 AM »
You won't believe what just happened to me today.

I just got a copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes.

Complete with the map.

For $35.

On ebay of all places.

I hope it arrives soon... =P~
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Black Tiger

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
Well - the game wasn't on SCD but CD (1/4 the memory size). The original CD memory size is seriously limiting.

The game (pseudo) scrolls a tile width at a time - 8 pixels. The increased the res to 352 to help make the 8 pixel increment a smaller amount of movement overall. The PCE CPU being faster than the MSX2 Z80A ( is says 3.58mhz but divide that by 3 or 4 to get the rough equivalent speed so ~1mhz vs 7.1mhz), really can't change the specs of the display processor which is the limiting factor here.

There is a way to do that effect with half tiles by one set normal tiles and the second set a transition between two tiles, but this method takes up a lot more memory, gives less overall tiles per area because of the extra tiles taking more vram space, and reduces the number of colors per tile since they would have to share a palette (not that this would really effect Ys III and it's low color count).

Btw - I think they animated the enemies in a choppy frame rate to match the background, otherwise the smooth scrolling/animating sprites would make the multi BGs pitfalls even more noticeable.

Yeah, most(all?) of the enemies move in increments different than regular games. I'm not sure if it lines up perfectly with the scrolling or not, but its one more reason why I'd take completely static bgs over this kind of effect.

Keranu

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
You won't believe what just happened to me today.

I just got a copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes.

Complete with the map.

For $35.

On ebay of all places.

I hope it arrives soon... =P~
Awesome! Congrats on the great deal for a great game! At least I and some others here think it's a great game.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

geise

« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2007, 02:02:16 AM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Valis series.  I loved the Valis series.  Valis II and III were released here in the states and are not that expensive or hard to find.  The voice acting is bad (especially in Valis III) but I love that series.  Valis IV and Phantasm Soldier for the Japanese CD and SCD are very awesome as well.  If you'd like to see what Valis is like you can find a version for MD/Genesis of Valis III.  The Turbo version is the same with more levels and cinemas, but less or no parallax scrolling on some levels.  There used to be a bug in Magic Engine that caused Valis Phantasm Soldier to not play, but it has recently been fixed.  So these games have no problem in Magic Engine.  Also I would suggest like others have in investing  in a Turbo System.  If you're not going to bother with HU Card games find a Japanese Duo-R or RX.  One other way is to get a TG-16 with the CD add on and Super Card system 3.  That way is actually cheaper from what I could find.  Dungeon Explorer II is another one I'd recommend.  I've seen it go for a good deal on ebay but I've also seen it go at a fairly reasonable price as well.  Just depends on the seller and people wanting it at the time I guess.  BTW I'm glad you're enjoying your Turbo games!  :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
I'd only recommend Valis III and then if you like it, try the others.

Keranu

« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
I'd only recommend Valis III and then if you like it, try the others.
Good point.

Arjak

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2007, 08:32:29 AM »
My copy of Legend of Heroes arrived a few days ago and I've finally started it. Great game! The story so far is very well done.

The only bad thing about the game is the crappy voice acting

It's amazing how bad voice acting can almost be made into an art.

This is one of my favorites:

Commander: Whatcha want!?
Logan: I... am Logan... Crown Prince of Farlayne. I hearby order you to release all prisoners slaving in the pits!
Commander: I hearby order you to lah dee dah dah!

When I first heard that on Retroware TV's Falcom episode on YouTube, I burst out laughing at how absurd that was.

Speaking of which, that commander is kicking my ass! I guess I need to level up more...

Keranu

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2007, 08:38:14 AM »
Haha, I love that "lah dee dah dah" line! Bad voice acting rules. 8)

Arjak

Re: What games should I get?
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
KA-BUMP! (Since everyone else is doing it...) 8-[

Since I'm planning on getting an actual system, I thought I'd bring back this old topic of mine. And BTW...

This topic now supports HuCards and TurboChips! :dance:

My current Turbo/PC Engine library (all CD games) consists of:

On Hand

-Cosmic Fantasy 2 (US)
-Exile (US)
-Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 (US)
-Implode (US)
-J.B. Harold Murder Club (US)
-The Legend of Heroes (US)
-Lords of Thunder (US)
-Meteor Blaster DX - Signature Edition (US)
-Shape Shifter (US)
-Ys Book I&II (US)

On The Way

-Ys IV - The Dawn of Ys (JP)

So if you have any suggestions, feel free to post. Don't forget 'Cards.

One thing to keep in mind: I don't know much Japanese. So try to only list games that can be played in English; officially or translated.

Games I might get:

-Alien Crush (US-HU)
-Beyond Shadowgate (US-SCD)
-Blazing Lazers (US-HU)
-Devil's Crush (US-HU)
-Dungeon Explorer (US-HU)
-Neutopia (US-HU)
-Neutopia II (US-HU)
-Soldier Blade (US-HU)
-Tennokoe Bank (JP-HU) (This is an under-rated classic, with an awesome storyline that actually changes depending on what other games you play!) :wink:
-Ys III (US-CD)
-Etc.

Thank you! 8)