Author Topic: Wanted - power supply for Jap PCE duo  (Read 259 times)

kungfukid

Wanted - power supply for Jap PCE duo
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:35 AM »
Well the power supply (I think it is the 124) for my PCE-duo has finally died. When I got the console a couple of years ago the wire was taped heavily where it joins the plug, and having stopped working I untaped it and it had clearly been hanging by a thread. I can't really be bothered fixing it, so was hoping somebody here might have a spare they'd be willing to part with for a small fee? (UK based if possible, anywhere else if shipping isn't too much).

SignOfZeta

Re: Wanted - power supply for Jap PCE duo
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »
If you get another NEC one its just going to puke on you like the last one did. Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket one. Make sure its rated for at least 800ma though, or your going to have issues.

16-bit

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:26:45 PM »
I have one and it is not going anywhere so if you can't find one in the UK send me a PM in a month or two with an offer and maybe I can hook you up. I am located in the US.

Ravij

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »
(UK based if possible, anywhere else if shipping isn't too much).

I can fully recommend this one:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=PW00748

UK based. The PSU is excellent, gives a rock steady 10V output, rated to 2A, so it will easily cope with a Duo. I've use this one for 4 years, the main thing I can say is that my Duo runs a hell of a lot cooler than it ever did with the jap PSU and step down transformer. As everyone knows - a cooler running DUO is one that will live a lot longer!

The only thing you will need to do is cut off the 2.1mm DC connector and fit the bigger DUO one. I've yet to find anyone who sells the correct DC plug for the Jap DUO, so you have to re-use the existing one. Also you'll need a standard PC 'kettle' lead, http://cpc.farnell.com/PL10109/electrical-lighting-security/product.us0?sku=UNBRANDED-MP5004, either buy it with it or use one you already have.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:14:39 PM by Ravij »

kungfukid

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »
Thanks very much for all the replies! If the duo runs a lot cooler with that unit then I think I might give it a bash. I'm not altogether sure about cutting and reattaching the connector mind you....  :?

kitkit.com

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:09:17 AM »
You might want to try dream-stars-japan (Ebay seller named Toshi) in Japan.  I was looking for original AC adapters for Super Grafx and PCE Shuttle and he quoted me reasonable price.  I have not heard from him for a few weeks though.  Let me know if you want his email address.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:18:11 AM by kitkit.com »