Author Topic: Trash & you  (Read 512 times)

Dark Fact

Re: Trash & you
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:14:25 AM »
I have a story here I like to share:

One of my dad's friends is what you call a "pack rat".  Someone who hoards away lots of old tools, trays, you name it.  He always finds ways to make use of them for his own pet projects.  He has stuff packed in his house, the basement, the shed, the garage, and his entire backyard.

Now normally, this would be a good thing for him, right? Well yeah.  However, one of his neighbors that he doesn't get along with didn't see it that way and considered his stuff a "nuisance".  So what does his neighbor do? He calls the city and complain.

The next day, the city crew comes in and starts seizing all of his belongings in the backyard (they could not seize anything that is in his house, shed or garage though since they don't have authority for that).  Now a lot of those belongings were in perfectly good condition.  The city crew seizes nearly all of it so they could take it to the dump.  Hell, they even seized a 100 foot roll of red gift wrap! My dad's friend was really upset but there was nothing he could do about it.  He was ordered to keep his hands off of everything in plain sight.

A week later, he gets a bill for the entire collection which amounted to nearly a thousand dollars.  Yes, my dad's friend gets billed for "clean up" that he never asked for.  Nice way to add insult to injury huh?

This happened a couple of years ago.  The neighbor who complained passed away last year and my dad's friend still collects stuff but only in small quantities this time.  Still, it was a terrible waste to see a lot of good things going to the dump.  Hell, he even tells me that a lot of things at the dump are still in pristine condition and the public is forbidden from setting foot there.  Yeah... :|

Quote from: nat
Here's the kicker. Are you ready for this? It actually didn't work.
You couldn't try to get it repaired? :-s

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nat

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
Here's the kicker. Are you ready for this? It actually didn't work.
You couldn't try to get it repaired? :-s

I dunno, the thing got water in it and shorted out. Probably would've been more trouble than it was worth to track down and fix the affected components. Scratch that, it was too much trouble. I just threw a couple bucks away and got another NES.

Dark Fact

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »
It was waterlogged? Damn.  What a waste of good hardware. :(

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nat

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
Yeah, I brought it over to this massive party in the U district of Seattle a couple years back. There were like 200 people there at this one single house and all the toilet usage was too much for the house's ancient plumbing to take. Something ruptured somewhere and the entire downstairs of the house flooded. Some drunken rocket scientist tried to play some SMB3 after the deck been waterlogged and POP!

MurderDate

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:52 AM »
The dudes on here who have known me from my first utterance a couple months ago know that I found my TG16 out on the street in the trash. 

The only time I ever officially "dumpster dove" was out behind Anchor Bay HQ in Michigan, looking for DVDs.  This was years and years ago when Anchor Bay was a fairly new company releasing Argento et al.  Anyway, came up with 0.

It's funny, no one voted that dumpster diving is "dirty".  It is many of the things people did vote for on this poll - but it's also f*cking dirty!
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Dark Fact

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »
Yeah, I brought it over to this massive party in the U district of Seattle a couple years back. There were like 200 people there at this one single house and all the toilet usage was too much for the house's ancient plumbing to take. Something ruptured somewhere and the entire downstairs of the house flooded. Some drunken rocket scientist tried to play some SMB3 after the deck been waterlogged and POP!
Wow, I hoped you kicked the guy's ass.  That's a waste of good hardware right there! #-o

Sparky

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »
have never really got anything good out of the trash but i voted for " gooooooood" i would have no problem diving in to get something worth while.
I am a country boy so there not much in the trash except trash these days where i live.

Dark Fact

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »
Man, dumpster diving is a pretty silly term, isn't it? Whenever I think about it, I picture some poor hobo dressing in scuba gear and flippers about to swan dive into a binful of refuse. :P