Author Topic: Programming games with the pc-fx ga using bundled software ( Same Game )  (Read 338 times)

Intoc

Hi, new here   :D

This is a question for all those who are lucky enough to have a pc-fx ga card hooked up to an NEC 98XX ( 9801, 9821, etc. ) computer.

How easy is it to make games with the bundled software ( Same Game FX ) ?

And I was wondering if any demos were made using Same Game FX, and if they are available somewhere for us to see ?

Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:11:09 AM by Intoc »

Oli_lar

Re: Programming games with the pc-fx ga using bundled software ( Same Game )
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
Would be very hard. You'd need not only a decent amount of skill in programming but would be very fluent in Japanese as the literature is pretty much exclusively Japanese. Then you've got the very hard task of tracking down the literature itself, getting a working system etc. Also, the fact that the PC-FX wasn't extensively programmed for means that you'd have to do a hell of a lot of work yourself.

Still, the system has been emulated by Western programmers, so theres hope yet.

Mednafen

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
Same Game FX is a puzzle game, not a devkit.

If you want to develop for the PC-FX using official tools, you need to obtain "Gmaker".

The documentation is in Japanese, the library functions have horrible misspellings, and...other stuff.

But none of that matters if you can't code in C, or a RISCy assembly language. ;)

I'm still working on my PC-FX development tool-chain, but...I have too many projects, private and otherwise, and it's not very high priority...and I can never decide how to expose CDROM/SCSI functionality.  And some hardware register layouts/functions are stupid, which is complicating a nice API design without going into abstraction overload...

There're also http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA007898/pcfxga/develop/gcc.html and http://homepage1.nifty.com/hyperclub/download/gccV810/index.html

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:40:05 AM »
i have all the docs and the software... shoot me an email ill zip it and send.

I might toy with it sometime.  I want a PC98 first since the dos card is expensive! (and its an excuse to buy a PC98 lol)

the big hurdle though is indeed the language barrier.  On my one computer if i open te software I just get []'s instead of katakana....

and of course as was said, you need to know C and be alright at assembly...

dancethetango50@yahoo.com
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.