Author Topic: My GT died but why ?  (Read 345 times)

Windsor75

My GT died but why ?
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:34:18 AM »
Hi,

I have two GTs :
- one has the screen cap problem, a lot of scratches on the body, but runs perfectly with good sound.
- one is in mint condition, no screen or sound problem, but did weird things when playing.

I openend the second to see where these malfunctions (on Final Match Tennis, choosing Tournament was running Training, I controlled both of the players, etc) come from, and I saw something strange on the left of the controller PCB :

The first thing I did was to invert the PCBs and then my "mint condition" worked perfectly. I put the strange PCB in the other one and closed it. Some days ago, I opened it again to see if I could take off this strange repair. I did it (no welding, very easy), and when I closed the GT, it didn't start. Nothing, not a noise, no screen, nothing. I openend it, checked but nothing seemed to be broken. I tried to invert again PCBs, but nothing.

So it died but I don't know why. I tried AC Adapter and new batteries, but nothing :(

Do you have any idea ?

Duo_R

Re: My GT died but why ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:27 PM »
we really can't see what you are talking about. It looks like scotch tape or something. Closeup hi-res pics please?
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Platinumfungi

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:31 PM »
Is that a small jumper wire?

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »
The problem may exist on the mobo. Has it had any work done on the mobo? Wild solder can do wonders to bridge circuits and wreak havoc! :twisted:

pceslayer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 01:52:58 AM »
If your talking about that bridged wire held down with scotch tape right there... that would only effect the Select button
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:55:30 AM by pceslayer »

Windsor75

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:37:45 AM »
It's a "bridge" done with a piece of tin sticked with scotch tape. It goes from the uppest line to the downest line.

Effects on the two games I tried :

Final Match Tennis :
- choosing Exhibition lauched Tournament
- choosing Tournament lauched Training
- choosing Training lauched Exhibition
- in 1 player mode, 1 vs 1, I controlled both of the players

Image Fight :
- Run didn't work, I couldn't play the game

But the GT turned on very well, except those weird things with controller.

When I opened again the GT to remove this "fix", and then closed it, the GT didn't turn on. I tried to put the good PCB of the other, but it didn't turn on again.

So, I don't know if removing this fix and then turning the GT on broke something, if I broke something when opening and closing the GT, or if something broke because it was time to break.

I read on a topic that the fuse might be dead, but I couldn't find where it was (and I'm really not good in electronic :( )

pceslayer

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:18:28 AM »
did you tear any ribbon cables or anything like that when opening it?

Does the unit get power at all? or is it completely dead?

That little bridge of tin would only effect the controls and should have no effect on anything else....

Windsor75

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:59:13 AM »
When I closed the GT, I first forgot to plug the speaker on the PCB. But I didn't tear the ribbon cables, not even plug them in the wrong way (checked on my other GT).

When I turn on the GT, nothing happens, not even the very little sound I can hear on the other. Nothing happens.

Duo_R

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
that fix cant be it, because I recently had a TG-Express that I worked on for someone that had corroded RUN PCB, and I had to manually jump with wiring. The system worked fine before the fix with the exception of not being able to start most games (it was a title screen system before I fixed). Check everything. Check the AC port, make sure there isn't anything in there (I had a system that I fixed once that had foil of all things jammed in there, and the system behaved as you described).
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq