Author Topic: Ripping redbook tracks?  (Read 470 times)

Nemo

Ripping redbook tracks?
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »
Can someone tell me how to rip redbook to Windows Media?

FM-77

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:22:14 AM »

Nemo

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:50:08 PM »
Sweet, thanks!

Joe Redifer

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
If Mac users are wondering, just insert the CD, open the CD up when it appears on your desktop (ignore iTunes or close it).  Drag the tracks you want from the CD to the desktop or a folder of your choosing.  It will instantly copy the 16-bit 44.1Khz stereo AIFF file for you to listen to.  AIFF is exactly the same as WAV, except totally different.

SignOfZeta

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:57:58 PM »
Wow. This would seem to be documented evidence that someone, someplace, actually uses .wma by choice.

I'm amazed.

Anyway, the redbook tracks on a PCE/Turbo CD are exactly the same as any other CD track so anything that rips CDs will work the same way.

Nemo

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 10:50:33 AM »
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"
Wow. This would seem to be documented evidence that someone, someplace, actually uses .wma by choice.

I'm amazed.

Anyway, the redbook tracks on a PCE/Turbo CD are exactly the same as any other CD track so anything that rips CDs will work the same way.

It's not really by choice since my comp. came installed with a CD burner and it's defaulted to windows media. Though I have no complaints. And it doesn't recognize PCE/Turbo games as CDs, so I can't rip them (it does recognize Sega CD games since they were intended to be listened to as CDs).

FM-77

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 12:31:18 PM »
Regular software (and Windows) won't recognize PC Engine games, but EAC does - that's why I linked you to it.

Nemo

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:01:30 PM »
Quote from: "Seldane"
Regular software (and Windows) won't recognize PC Engine games, but EAC does - that's why I linked you to it.

I know and I appreciate it.  :)  I was explaining to Zeta why I needed the link you gave me.

SignOfZeta

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:37:24 PM »
Quote from: "Nemo"
It's not really by choice since my comp. came installed with a CD burner and it's defaulted to windows media.

That takes about 10 seconds to fix, and your burner itself has nothing to do with it.

Though I have no complaints. And it doesn't recognize PCE/Turbo games as CDs, so I can't rip them (it does recognize Sega CD games since they were intended to be listened to as CDs).

Well, I don't see how Sega CD games were any more intended to be listened to as CDs than PC Engine games were. Anyway I've never had a problem with a computer recognizing PCE games as audio CDs. That's what they always show up as. I haven't done it in a while though. Let me test it:

OK, I'm listening to Tengai Makyo II in my Mac mini, just like I did with my Win95 machine ages ago. iTunes extracted the track just fine too. I think you guys must have drives that have some sort of issue with off formats or something.

UPDATE!

OK, I just tried this on my friend's new laptop, and it refused to play the thing in WMP, or Winamp. Wow, what BS. This is the first I've ever heard of this problem. I guess I have to blame XP because this was not the case with older versions of Windows.

Joe Redifer

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »
iTunes extracted the track just fine too.

No no no!  If you have a Mac, you are doing this the extremely hard way.  Just drag and drop from the CD, man.  On my Mac, Turbo/PC Engine CDs usually mount as two different discs, one as data and the other as audio.

SignOfZeta

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »
Quote from: "Joe Redifer"
iTunes extracted the track just fine too.

No no no!  If you have a Mac, you are doing this the extremely hard way.  Just drag and drop from the CD, man.

1) iTunes is not extremely hard to use. Once the CD cues up hit the big round "import" button. I don't see how anything could be easier than that.

2) I have *way* too much music on my machine to not compress it.

On my Mac, Turbo/PC Engine CDs usually mount as two different discs, one as data and the other as audio.

I'm assuming this is with bootlegs and/or homebrews. Retail PC Engine CDs aren't multi-session. At least none of mine are, and I'm pretty sure all PCE games are formated the same way.

Odonadon

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 05:09:38 AM »
Use Nightwolve's TurboRip.  I think it comes with it's own ASPI driver (which will let you see the contents of the CDs), plus it does it's own ripping to mp3s if you chose the /HUGOX option.  Check out the TurboRip thread, or visit Turbo2k's download section to pick it up (http://turbo2k.net).

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Joe Redifer

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 07:00:50 AM »
1) iTunes is not extremely hard to use. Once the CD cues up hit the big round "import" button. I don't see how anything could be easier than that.

2) I have *way* too much music on my machine to not compress it.

Fair enough.  I don't listen to much music on my computer, though.  If I rip tracks it's usually going on to a CD-R.  The "import" button in iTunes can be set up for many configurations and even reprocesses the track for a straight AIFF file instead of just copying the file bit-for-bit like drag and drop does.  For MP3 I have LAME do it since it does so much better than iTunes (which is basically Quicktime).
data and the other as audio.[/quote]

I'm assuming this is with bootlegs and/or homebrews. Retail PC Engine CDs aren't multi-session. At least none of mine are, and I'm pretty sure all PCE games are formated the same way.

You're right.  Maybe I am thinking of Sega CDs or something.

Kaminari

Ripping redbook tracks?
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 12:05:02 AM »
Well, I don't see how Sega CD games were any more intended to be listened to as CDs than PC Engine games were.

Sega CD games are standard mixed mode ISO discs (first track is data, the rest is audio) which are pretty well supported by any decent audio player and CD software. PCE games are completely non-standard mixed mode discs where data tracks can be splattered all over the place (extreme case: Spriggan Mark 2). You can rip those discs with a proper burning software or with the excellent TurboRip.

As for audio players, most of them won't be able to read the audio tracks properly with such discs. Foobar is one of them (though I found that in some cases, the first audio track is not detected at all, or is merged with the following track). I prefer VUPlayer which can play any form of mixed mode CD (standard, non standard, enhanced).