Author Topic: Starting Game Dev  (Read 1691 times)

touko

Re: Starting Game Dev
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:11 AM »
Let´s wait that someone with more experience explain it. I know it, but I cannot justify the cause of this limit. I'm sure that there is people that can explain that better than me  :)   Basically, there is a limit of sprites that cannot be drawn in the same scanline (a line of 1 pixel-size). If you are near the limit, the sprites flicker. If you go above the limit, some sprites will dissappear.

Tom explained very interesting things in this forums about methods used to avoid this situations (I cannot find the thread now). For example, in beat-em-up games, the enemies tend to NOT be positioned in the same row  :)

The limit is 16 (16*Y) sprites per scanline , if you're using a 32 pixels wide sprite, this sprite is counting for 2 sprites, and you align only 8 (32*Y) sprites per scanline.

Y can be 16,32,64 .
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:11:55 PM by touko »

nodtveidt

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 06:44:55 AM »
You have 256 sprite pixels per line. That is the limit. That equates to a total of 16 sprite blocks. So if you have, for example, 8 32x32 sprites, you can place them all on the same line and not have any problems. If you add any more sprites on that line, the one with the highest number is going to be cut off. Also, it matters not whether the sprites are solid...transparent pixels still count as sprite pixels and still count towards the pixels-per-line limitation.

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

sunteam_paul

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
What ? Was that directed at moi ?

Yes, that's obviously aimed at you.  Outsized signatures are lame, especially when they're composed of images taken from (and hosted by) other websites.  If you can't create something original, at least resize the images and stop stealing other people's bandwidth.

Yes, please can you re-upload the screenshot to something like imageshack first. I can provide you a link if you can't do it yourself. I don't even link images from my own site directly when I post them here.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!