Author Topic: Duo-R cd audio problem.  (Read 392 times)

CMcK

Duo-R cd audio problem.
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
Hello guys, I've just bought Rayxanber II and III. I tried them yesterday in my recently repaired Duo-R and there is a problem with CD audio cutting out. I bought the Duo-R a few months ago but the laser was faulty on arrival. I ordered a laser from the US and installed it a few weeks ago. I THOUGHT everything was OK. I only had a couple of CD games to test it with but it appeared to be ok.

What I am finding with the Rayxanber discs is the game loads OK and the audio starts to play at the beginning of each level or boos encounter. But it normally stops playing after a random number of seconds. The discs are in excellent condition so I don't think they are the problem.

From looking around the forum I'm guessing replacing capacitors may be the solution but I would like to know if there is a guide available showing which capacitors are relevant to my problem.

SignOfZeta

Re: Duo-R cd audio problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »
Does it just instantly cut out, or does it fade out? Cap issues are nearly unheard of in the R/RX. If it cuts abruptly its probably a laser issue.

CMcK

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
The music cuts out instantly. So it's likely to be the potentiometer needing adjusted then?

CMcK

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:10:53 AM »
This is driving me nuts. I played an audio disc for about an hour to let the system warm up. But there was distortion all the way through. After that I tried Rayxanber III which was struggling to load sometime and dropping the cd audio very quickly.
Then I went back to Rayxanber II which was also dropping the cd audio yesterday. And yet today it's running perfectly. It loaded quickly and the audio was fine.
I put Rayxanber III back in and it loaded ok then displayed the loss of audio as before.

I really hope it isn't the laser as it's brand new with only a couple of hours of use since it was installed.

D-Lite

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:33:36 AM »
If you hear the system trying to focus/adjust to find the track, that's usually more the potentiometer issue.  They affect tracking and laser focus, so you'd hear more "grinding" or searching going on. 
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

CMcK

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »
I can't say I have noticed any unusual tracking sounds as you describe. I'll need to have a good look and listen at the weekend.
I did compare the position of the small white screw on the side of the laser to the old one when I installed it. They both looked to be in the same position.

D-Lite

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
I can't say I have noticed any unusual tracking sounds as you describe. I'll need to have a good look and listen at the weekend.
I did compare the position of the small white screw on the side of the laser to the old one when I installed it. They both looked to be in the same position.
The pots on the PCB itself (4 of them on the R I think) are the ones that control the tracking and whatnot.  Those are big problems with the original Duo.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

kattare

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 11:41:31 AM »
My vote is a laser focus/tracking issue.

Not many caps issues on this system, and your symptoms mirror behavior I've seen several times on Duo's with lasers out of wack.

Make sure you mark their original positions before you move 'em around.  ;-)
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

CMcK

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys. Anyone know where I can get a guide to what each potentiometer is for?

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:15:25 AM »
==>Anyone know where I can get a guide to what each potentiometer is for?<==

AGHH!!!

Charlie

kattare

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 07:37:57 AM »
I dunno how different they are, but there are PCE Duo / Turbo Duo threads on here referencing what they're for.  I think it was Charlie that posted all the juicy tidbits.  ;-)
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

CMcK

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »
After a bit raking I've found the info buried in the repair threads. Lots of good stuff in there.
I think I will have a play around with the pots tonight. And while I'm there have a good look around the board for signs of leaking capacitors.
I should never have sold my old Duo-R as it worked perfectly.