Author Topic: Turbografx-16 with bad video  (Read 406 times)

coyo5050

Turbografx-16 with bad video
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:35:01 PM »
Just got a Turbografx-16 and seems like the video jack is bad. I plug the rf adapter in to the jack on the unit and I have to wiggle it around for the image to show up on my TV. Even with wiggling the image still comes out looking bad, distorted and with a reddish tint. The cable itself is fine I tested it on my atari jaguar. I opened the TG16 unit up and was surprised by the metal shielding. Is there any guides showing how to remove the shielding  and what I am looking for in regards the the video jack on the PCB? I see posts saying to re solder but no details as to what that means.  Thank you!

kattare

Re: Turbografx-16 with bad video
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
You could probably replace the RF box, but you're way better off doing one of the following, as they all make for a much improved picture:

- do a composite or RGB video mod
- attach a turbo booster or turbo booster plus (gives you composite out)
- attach a TG-CD (gives you composite out - added benefit of many more great games to play!)

Cheers
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

esteban

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:30:52 PM »
Kattare is correct.

If you follow his second suggestion (and TurboBoost your TG-16), you'll end up with this beauty:

Go for it!

|    | 

BlackandBlue

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Agree with above.  I had the same issue and a new RF adapter fixed it.  Then I decided to get the CD dock anyway. 
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

coyo5050

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »
The second suggestion makes a lot of sense. Just need to find one for  a good price. I still would like the original TG16 video out to work though. How did you fix yours? Replace the whole thing or was it some solder work?

D-Lite

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
It's usually just the outer part of the Rf connector/port that gets ratty.  It looks corroded or worn usually on a used system.  Probably cheap plating at the root of it.  Could try to polish it up or better yet, "tin" it with some soldering.  I've found that helps if done right.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

ApolloBoy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
I would suggest using one of these in conjunction with a shielded coax cable: http://tinyurl.com/yklkypp
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

coyo5050

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:58:20 PM »
Tried an adapter like linked, the opposite way tho, rca to coax. Def the port on the system itself.

Can I get more details on the rf connector port. Where are you refering to polishing it up? Do you mean the outer connector itself that you can easily access? I don't think thats it. I have to wiggle the cable just right to get the picture to come up so it seems like something more internal on the connector. Would it help to post a pic? Or does anyone have pics of what can be resoldered on the rf connector?

coyo5050

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
One other thing, I am guessing in order to access the RF I have to remove the shielding? To remove the shielding, is the only way to unsolder the many points connecting it to the PCB? This seems a huge pain. I read somewhere to look for a crack or bad solder connection on the board inside the RF modulator.

kattare

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
The only way to remove the shield with no damage to the board is to get a solder gun (or something with high wattage/heat) and de-solder those connections.  I say high wattage/heat because the shield dissipates the heat pretty well and I have a horrible time trying to do it with a low wattage unit.

If you don't mind some (minor) damage to your mobo, you can carefully wedge a flat head screwdriver between the shield and the mobo around the edges and gently pry it up.  The soldered points on the shield break away from the mobo and don't seem to do much damage in the process.  (incidentally, this is the process I use 90% of the time)  Just be really careful.  ;-)

Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.