Author Topic: Two Duos, two different problems.  (Read 476 times)

DragonmasterDan

Two Duos, two different problems.
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:56:46 AM »
I've got two Duo's and each has their own problems, anyone with experience at repairing a Turbo Duo's have any suggestions?
Duo #1 was one I attempted to repair by doing a HOP-M3 swap out. After doing the swap I got the first test disc to work (very slowly) and then nothing. I still have both laser assemblies (the original and the replacement).

Duo #2 requires about 5 minutes before CD audio kicks in. Other than that it's fine. Obviously repairing it is a lot less of a priority. I'm guessing this one is probably just a cap replacement but if any other ideas are out there let me know.
--DragonmasterDan

D-Lite

Re: Two Duos, two different problems.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 03:23:32 AM »
Both likely need cap replacements.  The one that you swapped the laser on probably needs the pots adjusted as well.  Grinding/whining/whistling?
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:31:55 AM »
Both likely need cap replacements.  The one that you swapped the laser on probably needs the pots adjusted as well.  Grinding/whining/whistling?

It just says "please insert disc" on the one I swapped the laser on. No other major noises. It doesn't seem to want to spin the discs.

I'm guessing Duo #2 is just a cap swap?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:34:43 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

D-Lite

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:06:41 AM »
It just says "please insert disc" on the one I swapped the laser on
Does it "click", like the laser gives it a try and can't focus?  Then it almost definitely is a pot problem, though the caps can easily be problematic.  Do you see and corrosion/fluid around the caps or any IC?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:23 AM »
Does it "click", like the laser gives it a try and can't focus?  Then it almost definitely is a pot problem, though the caps can easily be problematic.  Do you see and corrosion/fluid around the caps or any IC?

I didn't notice any corrosion. I've also successfully changed out Playstation and Dreamcast lasers. But it could be a pot problem. I may wind up seeing if anyone on here would want to take a look at it.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:30:19 AM »

I didn't notice any corrosion. I've also successfully changed out Playstation and Dreamcast lasers. But it could be a pot problem. I may wind up seeing if anyone on here would want to take a look at it.

Would taking a picture of the inside of Duo #1 help?
--DragonmasterDan

D-Lite

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »

Would taking a picture of the inside of Duo #1 help?
Sure.  Try to get the area south of the laser unit especially.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 10:12:29 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

kattare

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
D-Lite's right, probably a cap swap on both, and a pot adjustment on #1.

D-Lite would be my first choice for any Duo work, but if he ends up not being able to do it, lemme know.  I've resurrected several units over the last year or so.  ;-)
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

kattare

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
Got your PM, glad I could fix it for ya.  Lemme know if you'd like the caps done on #2 down the road.

Cheers!
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

D-Lite

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »
Got your PM, glad I could fix it for ya.  Lemme know if you'd like the caps done on #2 down the road.

Cheers!

Good job boss :)

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:49:21 PM »

Cheers!

I may, #2 isn't experiencing the problem consistantly (maybe only half the time I plug it in does it experience the problem). But I may.
--DragonmasterDan