Author Topic: Extension cable question  (Read 423 times)

kattare

Re: Extension cable question
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »
Dungeon Explorer.

Also, at least one of the Bomberman games (maybe all?) doesn't work like this either. It'll appear to work in a test like the one kattare described, but if you press a button then you start controlling someone else's avatar while the button is pressed or something to that effect. Long story short: it doesn't work in any kind of playable fashion.

Has anyone done testing to figure out the cause?

- A flaw in the official NEC extension cables?  (perhaps intentional, forcing the purchase of 5 extensions instead of 1?)
- A limitation of cord/signal length?

How does the problem manifest itself on DE?  Maybe I could do some testing with an official vs. unofficial (homemade) cable and see if the problem persists...

Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 09:54:13 AM »
Dungeon Explorer.

Also, at least one of the Bomberman games (maybe all?) doesn't work like this either. It'll appear to work in a test like the one kattare described, but if you press a button then you start controlling someone else's avatar while the button is pressed or something to that effect. Long story short: it doesn't work in any kind of playable fashion.

Has anyone done testing to figure out the cause?

- A flaw in the official NEC extension cables?  (perhaps intentional, forcing the purchase of 5 extensions instead of 1?)
- A limitation of cord/signal length?

How does the problem manifest itself on DE?  Maybe I could do some testing with an official vs. unofficial (homemade) cable and see if the problem persists...

I've seen basically the identical problem, but the issue was the turbo/duo tap rather than the extension cable.
--DragonmasterDan

nat

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 10:09:48 AM »
Right, I think the problem is actually in the TurboTap itself but only manifests if you use an extension cable between the Tap and the Turbo.

vestcoat

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
IIRC, official TG16 Extensions Cables and official TG16->Duo Controller Converters work fine downstream from a Turbo Tap (I haven't tested this for about two years).  The problem occurs when using the grey computer cords to extend a Duo Tap.  TTI never made official Duo extensions.  The grey cables have also malfunctioned when playing with 6-button controllers/games, further demonstrating that they're not really a perfect match for our needs.  It doesn't matter what game you're playing, it's a wiring problem, not a software problem.

So, go buy an extra controller and use Nat's guide to swap the cable with your Tap:  http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2893.msg36307#msg36307

You don't have to cut or splice anything, just use a screwdriver and switch a couple wires around.  This gives you a 4-5' Tap. 

:twisted: Tips from the Pros :twisted:
If you modify a Duo Tap, take the old twelve-inch cable from the Tap and put it on the controller you just cannibalized (switching a couple wires back).  Take the now foot-long Duo Pad and put a shitty grey computer cable extender on that for ever and ever.  This way the controller is still useful and the grey extender won't mess up a simple 2-button pad!!!  Whoa! Gnarly! 

TurboSticks had longer cables than Turbo Pads.  Put a Turbo Stick cable on your Turbo Tap for a 8' extension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Tonar!

Near the end of their original ownership, TZD had cables made so they could convert Turbo Pads into Duo Pads.  These were sold as "Duo Controller Kits" that included a Turbo Pad w/original cable plus one of the newly-made, aftermarket Duo cables that were about 18" longer than traditional Duo cables!  Track down one of these bad boys for a six-foot Duo Tap!!!!  Wicked!

EDIT:  Fixed some measurement estimates
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:37:22 AM by vestcoat »

nat

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
IIRC, official TG16 Extensions Cables and official TG16->Duo Controller Converters work fine downstream from a Turbo Tap (I haven't tested this for about two years).  The problem occurs when using the grey computer cords to extend a Duo Tap. 

This isn't accurate, since I only own official TG-16 extension cables and I have the problem any time I try to use the cable downstream from the Tap.

henrycsc

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
I haven't tested the upstream/downstream either but I always had a problem connecting the official TG extension with the tap on the Turbografx w/CD attachment or TG16.  I will try to confirm if upstream/downstream makes a difference.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

nat

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »
It isn't really necessary as we've been down this road many times, so let me say one more time.....

Extension between tap and system = bad
Extension between controller and tap = good

Is it just me or do we have like three of these threads going simultaneously right now?