Author Topic: Soldering issues  (Read 367 times)

shaysbadboy

Soldering issues
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:49:25 AM »
I'm in the middle of a region mod and I'm having trouble getting solder to stick to the pins on the hu card slot. I've tried wire glue that ordered from thinkgeek and it doesn't bond strong enough. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me out? Thanks to any one that could help me out

D-Lite

Re: Soldering issues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 09:07:21 AM »
What are you using for a soldering iron and solder?  Using wrapping wire as well?  Which type of region mod?
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

shaysbadboy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »
Using 4 dpdt switches for US/Japan mod.  The iron I'm using is wellar 30 watt with 60/40 rosin core solder with solid core intercom wire.  Would wrapping wire be better?

D-Lite

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »
Would wrapping wire be better?
Would be easier and cleaner.  Cut the pins, wrap the wire around them, then solder on that.  Gives a nice solid connection.

EDIT:  In fact check the link in my sig and go to the Region Mod part of my site.  Works for any region mod and shows pics of what I'm saying.

shaysbadboy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
Your site was where I got my info from I just didn't wrap the wires around the pins I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:07:59 PM by shaysbadboy »

D-Lite

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »
Your site was where I got my info from I just didn't wrap the wires around the pins I'll give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the info.
Ah, cool then.  Yes, the wrapping of the wires I find is the easiest and best way in fact.  You can wrap around roughly twice and you can do 5 at a time then solder them down easily since they hold quite well when wrapped.

kattare

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
Sometimes I have a rough go at those pins too, I think over time they oxidize or something on the surface, because usually if I kind of scrape back and forth on 'em with the iron while applying rosin/soldier I can usually get it to take pretty well.  Seems like you just have to get past whatever thin layer of crap there is on the outside surface.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

jasonbar

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 01:17:50 PM »
I just performed the region mod on my US Turbo Duo yesterday w/ an 8PDT switch.

After wiring everything & checking continuity, I sometimes had trouble getting a continuity beep out of my DMM when touching pins that I knew were shorted--I sometimes had to travel along the card slot pin until I got the beep.

Perhaps a thin layer of oxidation was indeed there, insulating the pins from my DMM probes.

Thanks,
-Jason
infernolab.com

BlackandBlue

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
You can try solder flux.  Not sure if it the same stuff you saw on think geek. 
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer