Author Topic: Help! Something went wrong with my 8pdt switch!  (Read 413 times)

PigInTheMud

Help! Something went wrong with my 8pdt switch!
« on: September 04, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »
I was playing a Japanese game on my 8pdt switch modded TurboGrafx. I decided I felt like playing an American game so I pushed the switch. I noticed the button kinda stuck a little so I pushed it a couple times until it felt smooth again. Now American games won't play and the Japanese games only work sometimes. Do I need to buy a new switch entirely? I checked all the wires and they are perfectly fine.

I took apart my TurboGrafx, moved the switch around and then it played American games, but when I pushed the button it stopped working until I moved it around again.
For some reason I have to move it around every time I push the button.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:21:24 AM by PigInTheMud »

SignOfZeta

Re: Help! Something went wrong with my 8pdt switch!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 06:32:52 AM »
If the button felt weird, I'd say that yeah, the switch is probably messing up internally.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »
Well this sucks, because that means every button I've purchased from http://www.surplussales.com/Switches/SWPushB-3.html have been messed up

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
I wouldn't assume that.

nat

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:18:08 AM »
Well this sucks, because that means every button I've purchased from http://www.surplussales.com/Switches/SWPushB-3.html have been messed up

I think you'd be the first person able to make that claim. I used those switches in my region mods and never had a bad one, as have others.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »
Well, I ordered 2 more from mouser to test if was actually the wires at fault, or if it was the switch.
The other problem I had with the 8pdt switches from surplussales was that the button would take a few presses before it actually clicked into position.

edit: American games work every now and then, and Japanese games work the majority of them time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:02:50 AM by PigInTheMud »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:06:24 PM »
Well, I ordered 2 more from mouser to test if was actually the wires at fault, or if it was the switch.

Don't you have a meter?

PigInTheMud

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 04:13:42 PM »

Don't you have a meter?

Oh yeah, I forgot about it. I'm afraid I might break it like all the other kids in the physics labs. My college didn't have anymore by the end of last semester. I also don't really know how to use it. What am I checking for... voltage? Amperage?

Turbo D

PigInTheMud

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 05:56:53 PM »
http://www.ladyada.net/library/metertut/continuity.html

Thanks for the link! So I did the continuity test and all of the wires are making a perfect connection. I am most certain that the problem is the switch now.

PigInTheMud

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:38 PM »
I received my new switch in the mail today and wired it up to my TurboGrafx. Nothing changed! So I decided Eff it I'm just going to wire the pins back to their original positions (This worked before when I was trying to do the IC chip mod). System still displays a white screen when turned on. I am pretty certain that my TG16 unit dead. If anyone has any ideas what might be wrong, it would be appreciated

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:28 AM »
If anyone has any ideas what might be wrong, it would be appreciated

I'd check the HuCard socket for dirt, damaged pins, or solder bridging adjacent pins.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Duo_R

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »
I am with necro, I think the hucard pins are dirty. I remember once my Duo wouldn't play games anymore. After about an hour of cleaning it with my Duo cleaning kit...it played games like a champ.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq