Author Topic: Problem with AV Out PCEngine - strange daughter board  (Read 302 times)

mamejay

Problem with AV Out PCEngine - strange daughter board
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:15:38 PM »
Hello everyone,
i have been doing a few mods on original PC Engines to remove the RF converter and replace it with a din socket to attach a AV cable for RGB and composite output.
I have already completed over 5.
I opened the latest one i got from Japan to find that it has a strange daughter board on it.
From what I can tell this is a crystal oscillator board as I compared it with another PCE I have.
The problem is I get really poor video from the rear composite av connector.  Colour is terrible.
Has anyone seen this before?

Also is it possible to remove this and replace it with a stand alone crystal oscillator?
Does anyone have schematics for the PCE or any notes on the different motherboards used?

grahf

Re: Problem with AV Out PCEngine - strange daughter board
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:29:55 AM »
It sounds like it might be a PAL unit. Strange that you got it from Japan. Any pictures of the daughterboard?

mamejay

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
I will get some pics of it posted shortly.  I suspect as much.  I really want to get it back to original.  Looks like its missing a few resistors under the motherboard.

I did not realise that they actuall;y made a white PAL PC Engine.

mamejay

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »
There must be a way to feed back in a NTSC signal crystal as the solder points are all there.  Does anyone have schematics for the PC Engine?

Bonknuts

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:14:19 AM »
I did not realise that they actuall;y made a white PAL PC Engine.

They didn't. But there were companies that modded PC-Engine consoles for PAL.

mamejay

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:46:31 AM »
That majority of parts that were removed I can get.  Its just a couple of caps which I do not know the vales of.  Anyone have schematics for a PCE where I can get the values?

snow Crash

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:24:34 AM »
Hello Mamejay, sounds like we have the same problem!  Does this look the same? I think we've got some Hong-Kong converted PCE's

mamejay

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
Yeah mine is the same.  Mine has has the original crystal removed and a few resistors.  I have used my multimeter on an unmodded board and it looks like all removed components are just resistors.  I will make a list of the removed components and see if we can reverse this mod.