Author Topic: My continuing CDROM2 problems  (Read 800 times)

soop

Re: My continuing CDROM2 problems
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
Ace, thanks Charlie.  I have a multimeter, pretty sure that will give me voltage.

soop

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Ok, I've found time to test this, but only one of the things is even close to the right voltage (second from the left, just after the white connector).  Does the system have to be trying to read a disc at the time, or just plugged in?

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
Playing (or, at least, attempting to play!) an AUDIO cd.  Run standalone, with power supply and headphones; NOT installed in interface unit.  (Kind of hard to set it up for access to the pots in that configuration anyway.)

Since you are so mis-configured anyway, just press the PLAY button, then set the pots to the values given. Once you do that, pull the power plug, wait about 10 seconds, then start anew.

Try to get the audio cd to play track one at first.  Turn the volume up full, you'll need to listen to the audio to fine-tune the starting point.  You want no pops/crackles at full volume...they will vary as you tweak the pot, so go slowly.  (Important:  Make sure you have changed the caps first...you may mistake an audio hiccup caused by weak caps as an audio hiccup caused by mis-allignment.  There is a subtle difference in the sound).

If/when you get track one audio cleanly, I can give you some hints on full tuneup.

Charlie

soop

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
Ah, got everything except the audio CD - which makes perfect sense with no IFU.  Right, I'll give it another crack soon, thanks for that!

soop

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »
argghh, this is almost impossible.  I can't measure it and play it at the same time.  Has anyone got a photo of the stock positions (if there is such a thing)?

BlueBMW

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »
Do you want to mail it to me to to try and fix it?  I know you're in the UK but its pretty small and light.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 01:41:13 AM »
Hmm, not sure I understand:

1. >>got everything except the audio CD - which makes perfect sense with no IFU<<
The CD audio plays WITHOUT the IFU.  In fact, IIRC, you can't even plug the headphone in if the CD is in the IFU.  And I would have thought "Run standalone, with power supply and headphones; NOT installed in interface unit" was self-explanatory....or am I mis-interpretting your statement?

2. >>I can't measure it and play it at the same time<<
Why not?  I do!  I presume you take the bottom off, and either set the unit up on a pedestal, or hang it over the edge of a table/bench.  Either way, the power can be pluggged in, the headphone can be plugged in, the CD can be playing, and you can measure the pots while adjusting.  In fact, you can even start the CD playing, then turn the unit on it's side (with the pots on top, of course) and do the measure/adjust that way.

Charlie

soop

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 04:32:40 AM »
Hmm, not sure I understand:

1. >>got everything except the audio CD - which makes perfect sense with no IFU<<
The CD audio plays WITHOUT the IFU.  In fact, IIRC, you can't even plug the headphone in if the CD is in the IFU.  And I would have thought "Run standalone, with power supply and headphones; NOT installed in interface unit" was self-explanatory....or am I mis-interpretting your statement?

Sorry, I meant I was doing everything you'd suggested, except I was still using a PCE CD, not an audio CD

2. >>I can't measure it and play it at the same time<<
Why not?  I do!  I presume you take the bottom off, and either set the unit up on a pedestal, or hang it over the edge of a table/bench.  Either way, the power can be pluggged in, the headphone can be plugged in, the CD can be playing, and you can measure the pots while adjusting.  In fact, you can even start the CD playing, then turn the unit on it's side (with the pots on top, of course) and do the measure/adjust that way.

Charlie

That was what I was having trouble with.  I don't really have a suitable work surface as such, so I was doing it on a coffee table.  Sideways is easier, but still confusing.  I'm measuring the front 2 pins, and not only do I not get much of a readout ever (apart from that one pot), the disc isn't spinning.  Put it back in the IFU, but now it won't spin up a disc.  Back to square 1 (again) although I do have a photo of the last good settings.

Blu, thanks for the offer, but I really want to figure it out for myself.  Even if it means I'm really sick of looking at PCEs at the moment (just finished RGB modding my PCE finally, and I can't test it yet because I still have to make the cable D:)

Charlie

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »
Aha!  Take a break then!

Just a quick check:
>> I'm measuring the front 2 pins<<
I assume you mean the front 2 pots, and that you of course know to measure the center pin of each pot against ground.

Good luck
Charlie

soop

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 05:17:05 AM »
aha!  No I didn't so that's probably why!  And the one that was giving the good read must be the rheostat, it all begins to make sense!

But yeah, a rest is needed, I'mm off out for a bit.  you guys have a good weekend, and I'll get back in the lab tomorrow!

Charlie

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
It's been  pointed out to me that, in my original post, I listed VR104 twice.  I'll edit that post as soon as I check my notes.

Charlie

Edit: Original post edited 6/6
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:03:11 AM by Charlie »