Author Topic: Help with broken CD-ROM2  (Read 318 times)

Domino82

Help with broken CD-ROM2
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:32:44 PM »
Hey everyone! Long-time lurker, new member, rabidly trying to amass a collection with some bonus money I got this year. Unfortunately, a CD-ROM2 I bought off eBay listed as Like New is not working. The seller was kind enough to refund $54.99 out of the $99.99 I spent for it, but I would love to get it working.

I've put out some feelers via PM to people who seem to know about these things, but figured I might as well make a thread. When I attempt to play a game, I get the red PC indicator and the Just a Moment screen, but no humming or noise whatsoever, and the disc does not spin. I opened it up and the middle gear is in perfect shape, no missing teeth whatsoever. Took a short (and probably useless) video of the inside here:

Any suggestions? I really want to either get this working or trade it to someone who fixes them (plus some cash) for a working one. I'm comfortable with basic soldering so if it's just changing a cap or something, I can probably manage. Just don't know where to start.

Thanks!!

HercTNT

Re: Help with broken CD-ROM2
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »
Domino, there is a modding and repair thread just a few above this one. there are plenty of guys that would be willing to help you. post your question there, or have a mod move your question.

Welcome to the forums. One of our talented repair guys will get you back up and running.

burn_654

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Are there adjustment potentiometers (small, surfacemount ones) in the CDROM2? If there are they might need calibrated - I calibrated a Duo recently and in the wrong positions they caused the spindle motor to not move at all. Something relatively easy to just spend a little time with and see if it changes anything. In the Duo there were two that influenced this for me.

If not you may be looking at a cap replacement or a laser swap which someone here might be able to do for you.
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

HercTNT

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
Steve here in the forums will tell you that the pots are the last thing you should touch. Usually problems can be fixed with a cap replacement. You need to pm thesteve, bluebmw, or keith courage and they will be able to help you.

Domino82

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
Hey thanks and sorry if I posted in the wrong spot. :)

I PM'd BlueBMW, just waiting to hear back. Also saw there is a guy "Turbografxfan" on eBay who offers a repair service for around $50. Do you know if that's comparable to what these guys charge?

Honestly, I don't care who fixes it, so long as it gets fixed. I'm fairly comfortable soldering, and it would be nice to be able to say "I fixed it myself," I just don't know which caps typically crap out, etc.

HercTNT

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 04:20:58 PM »
No need to be sorry. I cant speak for ebay, i can only speak for the people here. Price isnt everything, its quality that matters as well. I have had Thesteve do work for me and i can vouch for

him. I guarentee you though that blueBmw and keith courage are also highly respected and very good choices. If it were my dollar i would trust the people here. thats my two cents :)

Domino82

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
Haha, nevermind... Now that I'm in the right forums and have seen the cap diagram with all the replacements involved, I think I'll leave this one to a "pro." Kinda wish I could "apprentice" with one of them though. ;) I'm a wannabe fix-it dude.

Blue (or anybody willing to fix me up) let me know what the cost is and where to send this puppy and I'll put her in the mail Monday. Thanks!

Domino82

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
No need to be sorry. I cant speak for ebay, i can only speak for the people here. Price isnt everything, its quality that matters as well. I have had Thesteve do work for me and i can vouch for

him. I guarentee you though that blueBmw and keith courage are also highly respected and very good choices. If it were my dollar i would trust the people here. thats my two cents :)

Gotcha thanks for the input. I will definitely use someone here! Like I was saying in that last reply, it would be nice to be able to say I fixed her myself, but looking at how many caps there are, this looks like a job for... Well, anyone but me. Maybe someday if I feel adventurous, I'll buy another junk unit to play around with...