Author Topic: Aliens Vs Predator 3...  (Read 676 times)

retroborg

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:11 AM »
So, is there any word of Alien Vs Predator 3 (PC) being in development?
It’s been 5 years since AVP2 was released and what wouldn’t I give for a third installment in the series.
Imagine the dark/sinister corridors of the Alien hive and a horde of Aliens behind you tail. The agile Predator hiding cloaked behind his thermal shield, or the high-tech marines with their powerful weaponry.
All that powered with the Doom3 engine!
That would be so cool!

AVP2 is one of my top 10 favorite FPS. I got way back in 2001, when I upgraded my PC (Pentium 4 1.8GHZ CPU, 256MB & a Kick-Ass GeForce3 Ti500)
I was completely shocked with the awesome story line & great Sci-fi plot Gameplay & weapons were top-notch. Graphics did not shock me as in Unreal two years earlier on my trusty 3dfx voodoo II, but it’s gameplay that counts in the end of the day.

For anyone that has never played AVP2 before, here are some memorable scenes from the game:

I’m not a great FPS fan but here are my all time favorites:

My Favorite FPS
=================

Aliens Vs Predator II (PC)
Alien Breed 3D I (AMIGA)
Dark Forces – Starwars (PC)
Descent (PC)
Doom (PC)
Doom II (PC)
Doom 3 (PC)
Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
Half Life 2 (PC)
Heretic (PC)
Hexen (PC)
Hexen - Death Kings of The Dark Citadel (PC)
Hexen II (PC)
Hexen II - Portal of Praevus (PC)
Unreal (PC)

What’s yours?

Is Deus EX any good by the way and when was it released?
I’m more into old school non-linear FPS action titles.

Keranu

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:51:37 PM »
I've never really played a AvP game, expect just last night I tried playing the Jaguar one via emulation, but the emulation for Jaguar sucks. I'm only into the older, classic FPS' since the controls are a lot easier and they are a more linear. FPS' can give me a headache from dungeon crawling for awhile due to the realisitc view, so if it's not as linear, that just makes it worse for me :( . Anyways, Wolfentstein 3D and DOOM forever for me, though I played a bunch of other FPS titles from many years ago and enjoyed, but cannot remember any of them well. I recently got a 3DO which came with a FPS called Escape From Monster Manor. Though the gameplay is VERY simple (only one weapon as far as I can tell, very few items, no original gameplay features), it is quite nice for a very simple game and has some really cool, scarey graphics, animation, and sound.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:36:12 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I've never really played a AvP game, expect just last night I tried playing the Jaguar one via emulation, but the emulation for Jaguar sucks. I'm only into the older, classic FPS' since the controls are a lot easier and they are a more linear. FPS' can give me a headache from dungeon crawling for awhile due to the realisitc view, so if it's not as linear, that just makes it worse for me :( . Anyways, Wolfentstein 3D and DOOM forever for me, though I played a bunch of other FPS titles from many years ago and enjoyed, but cannot remember any of them well. I recently got a 3DO which came with a FPS called Escape From Monster Manor. Though the gameplay is VERY simple (only one weapon as far as I can tell, very few items, no original gameplay features), it is quite nice for a very simple game and has some really cool, scarey graphics, animation, and sound.

Ever try the one by, Capcom in the arcades or in, Mame it's such a classic beatem-up :wink:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=A&game_id=6858

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

retroborg

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:53:29 PM »
That's an excellent Arcade Beat Em Up, but maybe not as enjoyable as Punisger on the CPS-1.
I loved the part when the Alien Queen cuts the fat guy commander in half with her tail. :mrgreen:

Keranu

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 06:00:31 PM »
I've played the beat'em up on MAME before, though I don't remember it very well. I do remember it being pretty cool though!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Dark Fact

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 09:39:46 AM »
Retroborg, it's a possibility that there could be a third AvP game for the PC but I'm not sure if it will become a reality ever since the franchise took a massive nosedive after the sorry ass excuse movie was released. :evil:  

As for favorite FPS, I would have to go with Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Cybermage, DOOM and DOOM2. :)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

retroborg

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 10:29:18 AM »
I've never played Shadow Warrior but I know that it's from the creators of Duke3D. I should track a copy of it, but I would have some hard time getting it to work in WinXP.
I have seen quite a few unsold copies of Cyber Mage in various forgotten shops down town. Judging from the box covers it seems to have a comic strip theme, similar to Comix Zone on the Mega Drive.

I haven't had a chance to see the AVP movie yet...Should I spend my hard-earned cash to rent it?
Is it that bad?

Dark Fact

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 05:36:48 AM »
Quote from: "retroborg"
I've never played Shadow Warrior but I know that it's from the creators of Duke3D. I should track a copy of it, but I would have some hard time getting it to work in WinXP.
I have seen quite a few unsold copies of Cyber Mage in various forgotten shops down town. Judging from the box covers it seems to have a comic strip theme, similar to Comix Zone on the Mega Drive.

I haven't had a chance to see the AVP movie yet...Should I spend my hard-earned cash to rent it?
Is it that bad?

Shadow Warrior, in my humble opinion, had to be the most underrated FPS in all of PC FPS history.  The game used the same engine as Duke Nukem 3D and was received fairly well by the critics (although they bashed the game for having the same problems as Duke Nukem 3D yet they praise Duke Nukem 3D as the greatest FPS ever made! WTF?).  The humour in the game I found to be much funnier than Duke Nukem because all it was a chinese man speaking really, really bad english (Just listen to Lo Wang throw a broken english one-liner at a blown up monster!).  It had its share of gore, asian locales, and anime girls (complete with Lo Wang trying to talk dirty to them XD).  If you want to try and track down a copy of the game, you'll need to look pretty hard in bargain bins in your local computer shop or bargain stores.  The game is very hard to come by on store shelves but you can still order it from 3DRealms' main site here.

NOTE: You will need a computer that runs DOSv6.2 or a DOS emulator to play the game on XP.  The game is next to impossible to play in pseudo-dos on XP (I tried it and the game had choppy framerate and sound up the shitter).

Cybermage, is also a very underrated FPS.  Even though it doesn't have the smooth controls like Duke Nukem or Shadow Warrior, it's still pretty good if you're looking for more DOOMesque type gaming.

The game practically pits you as a cyborg with a crystal implanted in your brain against a Destro ripoff warlord named Necrom who wants to rule the post apocalyptic future. :roll: So, you begin by busting out of the lab you were reborn in and going around different areas of the game like cities, wastelands, and prisons to stop Necrom! The plot may sound cheesy at first, but as you play through it, it fleshes itself out very gradually and deeply and you will find yourself drawn in more to the story.

The game also has a TON of weapons and magic powers to use.  Trust me on this, to this day, I have not seen a single FPS that could beat the sheer amount of weapons and powers that you can get in Cybermage.  The game doesn't let you use number keys to equip your powers though.  You need to select them from a menu.  You can use your mara-tach-mang magic (which is given to you from your crystal implant) to shoot fireballs or energy streams and your weapons for basic fighting.  The weapons range from hand-to-hand (swords, axes, a light-saber) to guns and cannons (rocket launcher, sub-machine gun).   You can also drive tanks, pilot police aircars, and use other vehicles too.  :wink:

The game also runs in DOS so again, use a DOS emulator if you have XP.

Phew...I said a lot, didn't I?

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 04:28:37 PM »
That game sounds pretty awesome!

Dark Fact

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:52:24 AM »
Are you talking about Shadow Warrior or Cybermage?

Either way, they're worth picking up! :wink:

Keranu

Aliens Vs Predator 3...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 09:38:59 AM »
Both :) .