Author Topic: Shockman Prices?  (Read 1222 times)

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: Shockman Prices?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 06:52:56 AM »
If you deem the gouging thread (and others like it) a waste of time, don't read 'em.

This thread was not one of them, unless your goal is to hijack it and turn it into a hate ebay thread? Last I checked this was about a single game and its current going rate. As shown prior, unless you get lucky or have connections, expect to pay $40-50 for a loose, past that if you want one with a manual. Just how it is. People bitching about ebay does not change the fact that the odds are someone is more likely going to be able to grab a copy of Shockman off of ebay more then they are able to here or anywhere else any day of the week. Until a few people around here form some kinda of online Turbo deposit/store maybe that is full of stock and has controlled prices, that is simply how things are going to be, and nothing is going to change it.

Oh, and Black Tiger:
When someone asks where to buy it and what they should pay, do you send them to the $10 above average store and not let them know about the places they could find it on sale? Do you tell some other friend who stops them and does mention the sale places/price to shut up and not talk about those places/prices?

To be fair, YOU nor anyone else have yet to mention any other solid North American alternatives to Ebay that carry a steady supply of Turbo games, so that's like blaming others for your own shortcomings (like I said, where did you decide to take Ys 3 to? Oh thats right, you took it to where you'd get the most money...duh...). Also, just because Herc says its not worth getting upset over doesn't mean he's been resided or brainwashed into buying over priced stuff. It simply means he doesn't get emotional over shit that isn't life or death. Its rude of you to try to label him, or others for that matter, like that.

HercTNT

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 06:56:40 AM »
Don't like it, save your breath, and move on.

Take a dose of your own medicine.  If you deem the gouging thread (and others like it) a waste of time, don't read 'em.

But ebay is commerce plain and simple. supply and demand, fair or not is irrelevant.

You obviously don't understand the idea of gouging; the $500 Cotton was labeled as a gouge job because it is well above where supply and demand has previously set the price.

LOl, make it personal if you want, i never said the thread was a waste. I said getting as worked up as you are is a waste. I liked Black Tigers response, it seemed more reasonable and thought out for a discussion. do me a favor and only read the parts that you want to listen to, then get upset about it. Won't change my view. Commerce is commerce like it or lump it. Now we can discuss it or you can pant about it, either way is the same to me.

Black Tiger

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
You obviously don't understand the idea of gouging; the $500 Cotton was labeled as a gouge job because it is well above where supply and demand has previously set the price.

From what was posted in that thread, the most Cotton has reached on eBay is just over $200. It wasn't simply someone trying to get a lot of money for what they admitted is separate from their hobby (he recently sold another copy of Cotton). It was yet another attempt to trick buyers into raising perceived value even further.

What's scary is how effective this kind of bs is. In the same thread, someone was influenced enough inspute of the <$200 reports, to propose all chipping in together to offer the seller 50% above the highest reported eBay sold prices, just to donate it to soneone who already has it. Literally a kickstarter for higher eBay prices.

It's no different than someone listing a boxed Magical Chase after that recent $3250(?) sale for $7000 and it convinces someone to ask people to chip in $500 each to offer the seller $5000.

Pointing out this kind of misdirection and other tricks to artificially inflate the market beyond what people would naturally bid games up to is important since way too many people are too gullible. There's a hobby full of hip collectors who listen to others recomend buying games they've never heard and pay any kind random price because they think they're getting a deal. It's like when stores put an "on sale" sign on regular priced items and people buy it only because of perceived savings.

Most people here are reluctant to put together price guides because like all collectibles,  there is so much variance in price combined with misc combibations of completeness and condition that affect different games differently. And in the end prices people read are only used to blindly purchase games without getting a feel for the market themselves or figuring out if they really have any genuine interest in a game or what it is really worth to them.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »
doesn't get emotional over shit that isn't life or death.
Everybody gets emotional over mundane life. Ever been to a sports game? Watch a reality TV show?

There's a hobby full of hip collectors who listen to others recomend buying games they've never heard and pay any kind random price because they think they're getting a deal. It's like when stores put an "on sale" sign on regular priced items and people buy it only because of perceived savings.
Good points. I think another reason prices are so contentious is because Mer'cans, particularly dorky, male, videogame enthusiasts, are such proud little consumers that they'll refuse to believe they've ever been duped. Countless new collectors wash up here bragging about their insta-collection or trying to resell something and nothing drives them nuts like being told they got totally F'd in the A on what they thought were thrifty purchases. Their initial response is to quote a bunch of other inflated prices to try to convince us of the game's worth. Eventually they give that up and fall back on the "free market" and "who cares?".

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
doesn't get emotional over shit that isn't life or death.
Everybody gets emotional over mundane life. Ever been to a sports game? Watch a reality TV show?

Lol I don't watch sports or reality tv shows. Bored to death comes to mind when I think of either things, and I agree, people get caught up in that crap. Way too caught up in it to be honest.

HercTNT

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
This community is clearly divided right down the center on buying, selling, shipping, etc. So here is what you do:

You get together a representative sample of buyers and sellers in the community, and sit down and talk about whats fair within the gated community of PCEFX.

What is considered lowballing?

what is considered gouging?

what is considered fair value?

What is the margin of error?

And what factors determine the criteria above?

Does the guy that gives away a freebie before putting up a sale get a break?  Does the guy that gives away freebies all the time have the right to sell for higher prices to compensate for

his generosity?  Two people are selling the same game complete, one has a slight blemish on the manual one does not. The guy without the blemish, can he sell for alittle higher and not be

scrutinized for gouging, after all its worth more for its condition right? The guy with the blemish, is he required by community etiquette to sell for cheaper or face said scrutiny? The rules will

change once again depending on complete game, hucard only, yellowing, no yellowing, pristine manual, manual with wrinkles, etc.  Its pretty obvious that there are a large number of people

with very different opinions on the matter or it would not keep coming up. So stop the cycle, come together, and lay down some ground work.

Anyone wanna jump me for trying to add some reason, go right ahead. Don't bother being proactive, keep complaining, wont solve anything. Don't like my ideas, come up with better ones

instead of ripping on mine. You got something solid to add, go for it, we can all benefit. Fix the problem here within the safety and confines of our gated community. Make it a buyers and

and sellers paradise for common people with common interests and goals. Attract new users, with more games and hardware to improve the selection of whats available. Otherwise Ebay and

global services like it will be your only choice like it or not, fair or not.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
This thread was not one of them, unless your goal is to hijack it and turn it into a hate ebay thread?  Last I checked this was about a single game and its current going rate.

I assumed Herc was responding to the $500 Cotton, since that was what was being discussed right before his post and he didn't quote anything else to make me think otherwise.  Even if he wasn't, it's pretty obvious he was talking about pricing in general and not solely about the current value of a single title.

I said getting as worked up as you are is a waste.

Who's worked up?  I'll say it again: bitching about eBay gougers is for entertainment purposes only!  I don't think anybody is frothing at the mouth over the injustice and working overtime on a coronary, nor are they on a crusade to change the world; it'd certainly be nice if we could change the gouging mind set, but I don't think any eBay sellers care what a handful of disgruntled forum members think.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

HercTNT

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
This thread was not one of them, unless your goal is to hijack it and turn it into a hate ebay thread?  Last I checked this was about a single game and its current going rate.

I assumed Herc was responding to the $500 Cotton, since that was what was being discussed right before his post and he didn't quote anything else to make me think otherwise.  Even if he wasn't, it's pretty obvious he was talking about pricing in general and not solely about the current value of a single title.

I said getting as worked up as you are is a waste.

Who's worked up?  I'll say it again: bitching about eBay gougers is for entertainment purposes only!  I don't think anybody is frothing at the mouth over the injustice and working overtime on a coronary, nor are they on a crusade to change the world; it'd certainly be nice if we could change the gouging mind set, but I don't think any eBay sellers care what a handful of disgruntled forum members think.

The worked up part was my mistake. it was in reference to someone else's comment.  I was tired and got you confused with someone else. I was also talking in general as for some people these conversations seem to degrade into why ebay sucks thread of which there are plenty. once again my fault . I'm in total agreement with your last statement, which is why i would like to see a common set of "understood" ground rules for the regulars. Professor has been calling for a PCEFX turbo store for awhile now. I think its a great idea and would go a long way to sorting out alot of the questions i listed above. there are some really strong opinions on pricing, and will remain opinions until there is a general agreement of some kind among the members.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »
Shockman is overpriced on ebay if you really wanna play it get he PCE version for $15
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:19:48 PM by PunkicCyborg »
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

vestcoat

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »
Who's worked up? 
I get pretty f*cking worked up. I do it for entertainment AND coronary purposes.

there are some really strong opinions on pricing, and will remain opinions until there is a general agreement of some kind among the members.
It would be nice, but impossible. Sometimes everyone agrees that a certain price is ridiculous and even free-market proponents like Canada and Bardoly get on board, but none of us agree 100% of the time. I usually see eye-to-eye with Black Tiger and Dragonmaster, but they've both posted price guides I disagree with. The only person who's 100% right 24/7 is Necromancer when he tells everyone to f*ck off.  ;)

Even so, I don't think things are that bad. We've been over all this stuff before and after hashing it out we're generally happy to ignore our differences and get along. The problem is that old disagreements are being constantly agitated by an influx of newcomers. Every time the subject comes up, battle lines are redrawn and sides are taken.

The best solution would be abortions for some, miniature American flags for others....err...wait, i mean...

The best solution would be for one of the mods to post a giant sticky that says "WARNING: the PCEFX forums are home to both the f*ck Ebay Club and a 200+ page thread perpetually criticizing gougers. Certain members will relentlessly persecute gougers, real or imagined, as well as gouger sympathizers quoting ebay prices. Many members are long-time friends and it's not uncommon to cut deals and help each other out. Sellers in search of ebay profits and an anonymous "free market" free from criticism should face the fees and sell on ebay. Those searching for a price guide to measure penises or bask in the glory of their collection should also look elsewhere."

bartre

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2012, 03:03:26 AM »
Shockman is overpriced on ebay if you really wanna play it get he PCE version for $15

but eets in eeengliiiiiish.
and yeah it is, last year I got a CIB copy for $45, great condition too.
Traded the box, i think to Hoobs...

esteban

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2012, 09:14:10 AM »
Quote from: vestcoat
The best solution would be for one of the mods to post a giant sticky that says "WARNING: the PCEFX forums are home to both the f*ck Ebay Club and a 200+ page thread perpetually criticizing gougers. Certain members will relentlessly persecute gougers, real or imagined, as well as gouger sympathizers quoting ebay prices. Many members are long-time friends and it's not uncommon to cut deals and help each other out. Sellers in search of ebay profits and an anonymous "free market" free from criticism should face the fees and sell on ebay. Those searching for a price guide to measure penises or bask in the glory of their collection should also look elsewhere."

Here you go (it hurts your eyes, but that's the point):
http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Slime_World/Slime_World_04.mp3
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:37:57 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

turboswimbz

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
BEST WARNING SIGN ANYWHERE EVER!  this should be reposted often throughout the forum.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

roflmao

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
BEST WARNING SIGN ANYWHERE EVER!  this should be reposted often throughout the forum.

Seconded.

vestcoat

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2012, 07:31:28 PM »
Quote from: vestcoat

Here you go (it hurts your eyes, but that's the point):

Somehow you took my turd of hate and polished it into a diamond of (Blodia) love. Reposting that should save time and keep me from thinking too much. Thanks Esty!