Author Topic: Help identifying failing part  (Read 225 times)

delita

Help identifying failing part
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
I decided to bring out the old turbografx and cd the other day and found the cd player would not spin discs. Reading through some of the old threads here I opened up the cd player and looked at the gears - all look to be in good order and rotated easily when manually manipulated. After that I tried the game again and it worked... for about 2 minutes. As soon as I went past the opening scene the disc sounded like it was skipping and froze up. The disc would not spin again the next 10 times when I tried to run the game again.

After tinkering around with the gears and laser position a bit more I tried an audio cd. It worked perfectly. Ran 4-5 tracks without issue. Turned off and switched back to the game and back to no spinning. Tried the audio cd again after and that didn't spin either. I have not been able to get a disc to run since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DejahThoris

Re: Help identifying failing part
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
I decided to bring out the old turbografx and cd the other day and found the cd player would not spin discs. Reading through some of the old threads here I opened up the cd player and looked at the gears - all look to be in good order and rotated easily when manually manipulated. After that I tried the game again and it worked... for about 2 minutes. As soon as I went past the opening scene the disc sounded like it was skipping and froze up. The disc would not spin again the next 10 times when I tried to run the game again.

After tinkering around with the gears and laser position a bit more I tried an audio cd. It worked perfectly. Ran 4-5 tracks without issue. Turned off and switched back to the game and back to no spinning. Tried the audio cd again after and that didn't spin either. I have not been able to get a disc to run since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you tried cleaning it up and greasing the rails?  That helped another member with a finicky cd-rom just today.  Definitely doesn't hurt to do in any case.

Drakon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
When my cd drive gear was almost dead my drive did the exact same thing.  That stupid middle gear became so tight that the motor wasn't able to rotate the gears.  Sometimes the motor could get them to turn sometimes it couldn't which explains why it went in and out of working.  Eventually the extra stress caused a bunch of teeth to break off from that middle gear.  Buying the keith courage bypass part and modding the cd drive to bypass that middle gear fixed all of this permanently.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:18:59 PM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Lost Monkey

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
When my cd drive gear was almost dead my drive did the exact same thing.  That stupid middle gear became so tight that the motor wasn't able to rotate the gears.  Sometimes the motor could get them to turn sometimes it couldn't which explains why it went in and out of working.  Eventually the extra stress caused a bunch of teeth to break off from that middle gear.  Buying the keith courage bypass part and modding the cd drive to bypass that middle gear fixed all of this permanently.

Ditto.  If that middle gear looks discoloured (like pecorino cheese), try poking it with a pencil.  It may break apart like pecorino...

Drakon

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
yeah mine was off coloured.

Ditto.  If that middle gear looks discoloured (like pecorino cheese), try poking it with a pencil.  It may break apart like pecorino...
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
if the gears do fail, unplug it.
the motor will move the sled, or die trying.